Research Systems Administrator
- Northeastern University
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 2, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Research Systems Administrator
About the Opportunity
The primary function of this role are to serve as a systems administrator for faculty research projects. The successful candidate will work with faculty across the Khoury College of Computer Sciences to design, deploy, and maintain the research computing infrastructure that supports research. The exact requirements for each research project may vary, including but not limited to selection and deployment of new hardware, ongoing maintenance of the physical systems, utilization of university HPC resources, creation of user accounts, ensuring OS updates are applied in a timely manner, developing front-end and web-facing systems, and other tasks. It is anticipated that most tasks will be using Linux or UNIX machines following established Infrastructure as Code (IaC) processes. This position will interact regularly with the Khoury College Systems Group, as well as the University's Information Technology Services department and Research Computing group.
- Design and deployment of new computing systems to support faculty research projects; consult with various stakeholders on the design and implementation details to ensure their needs are met.
- Day-to-day systems administration (creating user accounts, maintaining OSes, handling hardware failures, etc).
- Developing software solutions for research projects (e.g., web front-ends, content management platforms, etc),
- Consult with faculty to help them understand research computing and available support options, keep an up-to-date record of available infrastructure and resources. Also conduct trainings as needed.
Education: BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or an equivalent field.
Skills: Multi-year experience as a systems administrator, with a focus on Linux/UNIX systems, is required. Experience with front-end web services (Django, React, and similar technologies), content management systems, database administration, and container platforms (Docker) is a plus. The ability to prioritize and manage concurrent projects serving multiple faculty clients is a necessity. Utilize ITIL-based incident management and knowledge creation tools such as ServiceNow to triage support requests and build robust documentation. Experience with Configuration Management Tools such as Puppet and Foreman preferred.
Documents to Submit:
Resume and Cover Letter.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Research-Systems-Administrator_R110768
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert