Assistant Professor of Multicultural American Literature, 1900-present
- University of Central Arkansas
- Conway, Arkansas
- Posted Date
- Dec 2, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Humanities, English & Literature, Ethnic & Multicultural Studies
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Department of English at the University of Central Arkansas invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of English to start in August 2023.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- completion of the Ph.D. in English no later than Aug. 1, 2023.
- at least one year of successful teaching experience at the university level.
- specialization in multicultural American literatures since 1900, as demonstrated by completed graduate coursework, comprehensive-examination emphases, dissertation subject matter, and/or publication materials.
Ideal candidates will be:
- possessed of significant, successful teaching experience in multicultural American literatures, to include at the upper-division and/or graduate levels.
- specialists in African American literature and culture since 1900.
- adept in teaching general-education courses on poetry and/or film and literature.
The UCA English Department offers the BA in English, the BA in English with teaching licensure, and the MA in English. The department’s faculty is highly engaged in scholarly production and learner-centered pedagogies. UCA English is home to more than 125 undergraduate majors and 45 minors. Majors choose between two degree tracks: literature and teacher licensure. Additionally, faculty have opportunities to teach courses for several interdisciplinary minors, UCA’s residential-college programs, and the Schedler Honors College. The department also hosts a small, but thriving, MA in English program. During the past four years, the department has posted steady growth, to include an overall increase in student credit hours of nearly 35 percent, as well as an increase in undergraduate majors of 10 percent.
Interested candidates should apply at http://jobs.uca.edu. Completed applications must include:
- a letter of application outlining one’s interest in and qualifications for the position.
- a CV.
- contact information for three professional references.
- a professional writing sample of 15-20 pages.
- a teaching portfolio that consists of: (1) a teaching philosophy; (2) a sample syllabus for an American literature survey, post-Civil War to present; and (3) a sample syllabus for an upper-level multicultural literature course.
Applications are due by Jan. 6, 2023.
Address queries to Dr. Melissa Smith, Associate Professor and chair of the search committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Dr. Ty Hawkins, Chair of the Department of English, at email@example.com.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert