Director - Office of Undergraduate Research
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Commensurate with qualifications
- Posted Date
- Dec 1, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Institutional Research & Planning, Student Affairs, Other Student Affairs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Director – Office of Undergraduate Research
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is seeking applications for a Director for the Office of Undergraduate Research. The goals of the Office for Undergraduate Research (OUR) are to continue to expand the opportunities for undergraduates to engage in authentic research, mentored scholarship, and creative performance at UNC Charlotte. Inquiry and research are distinctive features of the undergraduate educational experience for all students. The activities of this office help prepare undergraduates for post-graduate fellowships. More broadly, the OUR prepares students to address future unsolved problems with confidence and embrace their roles as enlightened citizens and leaders in a complex society.
Minimum Qualifications: Doctoral or terminal degree. Experience with undergraduate research in an academic setting working with students and with university and external stakeholders.
Job Duties and Initiatives
- Establish and promote a vision and strategic plan to engage all students in research with particular focus on ensuring the inclusion of underrepresented populations, first generation students, and students who may have time limitations to participate in traditional research programs
- Partnering with the Associate Dean, Colleges/Schools, and other constituencies, innovate towards a plan of action for the office that looks to build strong partnerships with local and regional industry, faculty/staff conducting research, organizations in PORTAL, and engages alumni and other professionals in the mentoring of students and participation in events
- Provide leadership and coordination for university signature undergraduate research programs: Research Scholars, Undergraduate Research Conference, Micro-Research Program, Summer Research Scholar Program, etc
- Collaborate and lead a group of Faculty Executive Fellows who provide guidance for OUR programs and lead initiatives to embed undergraduate research into the curriculum
- Proactively support faculty, departments, and colleges in seeking external funding for undergraduate research – includes proactively identifying funding opportunities, assisting with the application process, and providing an undergraduate research infrastructure that can support successful applications and allow faculty to focus on the research program. OUR will undertake this work in collaboration with College and University grants offices
- Encourage and support departments and faculty in their efforts to embed undergraduate research into the curriculum – includes identifying curriculum models, assisting in the curriculum development process, and leveraging OUR resources and expertise to build the necessary infrastructure. OUR will undertake this work in collaboration with college and departmental leadership
- Support, as appropriate, faculty and departmental efforts to encourage and enable their students to participate in external undergraduate or post-graduate research opportunities. Provide faculty with structures and operations to mentor students, including mentor training programs
- Collaborate with Office of Research & Economic Development on the coordination of research activities and initiatives
Salary and benefits are competitive; interested individuals should apply on-line at https://jobs.uncc.edu For the full description search for job #003518. Applicants are subject to background checks.
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and an ADVANCE Institution that strives to create an academic climate in which the dignity of all individuals is respected and maintained. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert