Position purpose: Belmont University is expanding its team of innovative and collaborative media professionals during an exciting and pivotal time. The University welcomed its largest enrollment class in 2021 and continues to center its activities and purposing around 5 strategic pathways to support the achievement of our aspirational aims.
One of these pathways is to create “storytelling that inspires the world,” with messages of truth, beauty, and goodness. The Instructor of Media Studies will play a critical role in achieving this vision as it continues to unfold in the department of Cinema, Television and Media.
- Teaching undergraduate courses in journalism and media production: A list of courses to be taught in rotation may include but is not limited to: MDS 1130 Media Writing 1, MDS 2130 Media Writing 2, MDS 1450 Survey of Digital Production, MDS 2470 Broadcast Workshop, and more media studies courses as needed and collaboratively developed within the department.
- Complete 24 workload hours, or equivalent, per academic year.
- Advise and mentor students in research and other class-related projects.
- Engage in activities to support the mission and vision of Belmont University and the college in which you teach.
- Participate in departmental and university committee work.
- Engage in scholarly activity and professional development.
- Advise students in course selection and degree completion.
- Participate in a local church and the community.
- Abide by all relevant university and/or department procedures and policies.
- Manage online grading system.
- Timely submission of book orders, if textbooks required.
- Maintain regular office hours.
- The above statements describe the job’s essential responsibilities and requirements. They are not an exhaustive list of the duties that may be assigned to job incumbents.
Required Qualifications: Belmont University seeks to attract and retain highly qualified faculty and staff that share the University's values and will contribute to its mission and vision to be a leader among teaching universities bringing together the best of liberal arts and professional education in a Christ-centered community of learning and service.
- The new faculty instructor should be an expert on current industry standards in the practice of reporting and writing using the Associated Press style and demonstrated professional success as an editor.
- The ideal candidate will be an experienced media producer capable of managing production and promotional aspects of dynamic storytelling efforts in the Media Studies department. They should have experience in video and audio production in a live or post-production TV/Content Creation environment.
- This position may include overseeing social media content release to CEMB channels and any applicable sub-branded entities, focusing on video content and other dynamic methods of storytelling, and so the best candidate will have experience and enthusiasm for this type of work.
- A flexible candidate who can collaborate with CEMB admissions officer to highlight ideal storylines to impact admission growth is desired.
- Knowledge of principles, methods and current developments in the
field of study.
- Knowledge of subject matter and course content taught.
- Knowledge of instructional strategies and techniques.
- Demonstrated capacity to engage in high quality scholarly
- Demonstrated ability to advise, instruct, manage, motivate and evaluate students.
- Skilled in the use of computers, Internet resources, and MS Office software.
- Ability to learn relevant sections of BannerWeb, Belmont University’s online integrated database system for student grading.
- Ability to integrate technology into the teaching and learning process.
- Ability to successfully interact with students, other educators and educational institution representatives, and the general public in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the programs and services offered by Belmont University. Interest and ability to work collaboratively in course design and to teach interdisciplinary and topical courses.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies.
Required Education Masters or above in Journalism, Media Studies, or related field required.
Required Experience A minimum of 1 year teaching experience required. Candidates with demonstrated professional experience in news writing and reporting, TV and film production, and AP style copyediting is required.