Assistant Athletic Trainer I
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 30, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education, Administrative, Student Affairs, Athletics, Health Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Reporting to and receiving general supervision from the Director of Sports Medicine, the Assistant Athletic Trainer - I follows established guidelines and procedures to perform the full range of clinical athletic training functions, which involve the planning, organization and delivery of daily athletic training services to student-athletes. The position may also be involved in the development and organization of the sports medicine program.
- Prevent, recognize and assess athletic injuries. Implement preventive and rehabilitation programs to treat athletic injuries using the appropriate therapeutic modalities and treatments
- Use a variety of therapeutic modalities including, but not limited to, heat, cold, light, sound, electricity and rehabilitation and exercise equipment, and apply bandages, tapes and braces to prevent and treat injuries
- Consult with senior Athletic Trainers, physicians, and other health professionals on injuries and treatment plans and coordinate with the coaching staff
- Inform coaching staff and other health professionals on the status of injuries and treatment plans
- Advise student-athletes on how to prevent injuries and maintain their physical condition. Regularly evaluate their physical condition
- Educate and counsel student-athletes and staff regarding conditioning, athletic training and rehabilitation
- Assist coaches in designing conditioning programs to prevent injuries
- Attend practices and athletic events and provide medical emergency coverage to student-athletes. Travel with sports teams to away games as needed
- May provide injury assessment and/or treatment for students involved with the Women’s basketball Team
- Coordinate drug prevention programs and applicable drug testing requirements for student-athletes
- Maintain equipment and cleanliness of the athletic training facility
- Maintain appropriate medical records of injuries, treatment plans and progress
- Provide support to the athletic training curriculum by providing clinical instruction to students enrolled in such classes
- Incumbents must possess a general knowledge of the principles and practices of Athletic Training including conditioning and injury prevention, as well as injury assessment and rehabilitation
- Must possess knowledge of the full range of therapeutic modalities and their practical use and physiological basis; other therapeutic preventions and treatments such as taping, bracing, and massage; effective use of rehabilitation and exercise equipment
- Be familiar with and adhere to the rules, regulations and guidelines established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) pertaining to student-athletes, their training sports medicine care, and health and safety
- Must possess knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards for handling Blood Borne Pathogens
- Ability to maintain medical records, including Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standard
- Ability to follow insurance procedures
- Must be able to effectively assess injuries and their severity
- Ability to develop conditioning and rehabilitation programs and manage and treat injuries
- Ability to use the full range of appropriate therapeutic modalities and treatments and rehabilitation and exercise equipment to treat and prevent injuries
- Ability to determine the appropriate referrals for athletes to other health care professionals
- Ability to recognize life threatening situations and administer the appropriate emergency aid
- Ability to use a computer to perform medical, insurance and other record keeping function
- Ability to work in an environment with competing priorities
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills to develop effective working relationships with student-athletes and to serve as a liaison among student-athletes, coaching staff, parents, physicians and other health care professionals
- Ability to work nights and weekends and holidays as needed
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in athletic training, physical education, kinesiology or related field of study or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. Coursework must include completion of the Board of Certification (BOC) curriculum requirements
- Must possess and maintain BOC (Board of Certification for the Athletic Trainer) certification
- Possess and maintain certification in CPR/AED (cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automated external defibrillation) for the Professional Rescuer and first aid
- A Master’s degree in athletic training or related field of study
- Demonstrated experience providing athletic training services at the high school, college or professional level
- Intercollegiate or professional sport experience
- Experience traveling with teams
Classification: Athletic Trainer I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,500 /month - $4,681/month
CSU Hiring Range: $3,821/month - $7,374/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
- BOC Certification
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: March 03, 2023 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert