BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE ANALYST
- Arizona State University
- Tempe, Arizona
- Depends on experience
- Posted Date
- Dec 1, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Business & Administrative Support
- Employment Level
- Non-Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Business Intelligence Analyst
Arizona State University
Req ID# 86412BR
Department: Data Analysis & Visualization
ASU, a leading innovator in higher education, is committed to maintaining the most dynamic and productive learning experience in all of higher education. The Business Intelligence Analyst (BI Analyst) position is in Enterprise Technology (ET) on the Data Analysis and Visualization team. The BI Analyst will work with groups from across the university to build relationships and understand their data and business processes in depth to help tell stories with their data to enable data-informed decision making.
This position offers a fast-paced, energetic, and technically rich environment with many opportunities for advancement. This individual will be on a team who provides data support for:
- A diverse portfolio of internal departments by creating informative reports, visualizations, and data layers, leveraging a wide range of data from within an enterprise data warehouse environment
- Internal custom applications by partnering with both business stakeholders and application developers to identify key reporting needs and then coordinate the capturing of the necessary data
The BI Analyst translates business needs and questions into dashboards/ reports and other technical solutions; uses Business Intelligence tools, such as Tableau, to create data visualizations; identifies and communicates business data and reporting needs to application development teams; queries and transforms data as needed; teaches business users how to understand their data and use various reports and tools; documents requirements for new dashboards/ reports as well as improving existing documentation; and serves as the liaison between the business organization and the Data and Analysis technology team.
As with everyone in the Enterprise Technology family, our intentional focus on diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging as well as culture and communications are core responsibilities in this role. With an increased emphasis on authenticity, compassion, and inclusivity, this position strives to embody and advance our Enterprise Technology Positive Core.
$66,535 - $90,000 per year; DOE
- Elicits requirements using interviews, meetings, surveys, business process descriptions or existing documentation, and process analysis in order to document requirements.
- Follows data visualization best practices and through storytelling can convey information about the data that helps inform decision-making
- Creates dashboards and reports
- Partners with application development teams as an advocate for data reporting needs, communicating data needs important to stakeholders
- Establishes best practices for data reporting within an application development team by maintaining documentation, knowledge sharing (documentation, presenting, etc.), and maintaining healthy partnerships
- Works closely and cooperatively with development teams on product design; makes recommendations for change to enhance support and usability.
- Crafts SQL database queries to retrieve, evaluate, perform testing/ quality assurance, and/or analyze data within a data warehouse or source data.
- Assists with requirements for integrating new data sources into the data warehouse.
- Receives data requests, evaluates requirements, and recommends existing or new solutions.
- Identifies and assesses potential data sources.
- Assists with creating and delivering end user training and documentation.
- Manages multiple stakeholders to set expectations, hold collaborators accountable to timelines, and communicate transparently.
- Creates reports and data products.
- Validates that the data warehouse meets requirements and service-level agreements.
- Participates in system administration functions including, but not limited to: data validation processes, duplicate resolution processes, system change requests, and system integration/user acceptance testing to ensure ongoing integrity and security of data consistent with university policies and procedures.
- Take responsibility for fostering culture, advancing our values, and championing engagement in all its forms -- collaborating across our teams as well as participating in ET/ASU events and programs. Demonstrates commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. Advances our Enterprise Technology Affirmative Pledge.
Bachelor’s degree in a business, information technology or closely related field and two (2) years’ experience in data modeling or database design using SQL or similar language, BI tool use and administration as well as user training/documentation development experience OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience with business intelligence tools such as Tableau
- Experience writing SQL queries
- Experience collecting requirements for data-related projects
- Experience querying and working with databases
- Familiarly with ETL processes
- Familiarity with AWS products and tools, including S3 and Redshift
- Experience with higher education data and ERP systems, including PeopleSoft, Workday, and/ or Salesforce
- Experience in using problem-solving and metadata skills.
- Skill in communicating complex, conceptual, and technical concepts to a variety of audiences both in writing and orally.
- Evidence of being passionate about higher education and the ASU Charter.
- Ability to model empathy, compassion and emotional intelligence
- Experience hiring in a values-led organization, emphasizing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Ability to help foster a safe psychological space for all teammates where everyone can thrive
- Ability to stimulate changes in individual, institutional, and corporate behaviors to create a more sustainable environment
- Ability to lead by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution’s sustainability programs
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse.
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
The Enterprise Technology (ET) embraces its role as both an enabler and catalyst for advancing the vision and work of the New American University. We are a values-driven organization. Our commitments are reflected in all of the work we do in pursuit of operational excellence, the experience and delight of our community, and our strategic and innovation initiatives. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
Join the team that sparks human-centered innovation
ET is a rapidly reconfigurable and entrepreneurial organization at ASU that prioritizes and executes to meet the needs of our community of learners, faculty, researchers and staff. Our work emphasizes autonomy, flexibility and distributed decision-making to leverage the strengths of individuals. Together, we embrace a culture that nurtures, engages and embraces diverse voices with a shared lens of positive community impact and expanded opportunities for collaboration.
Why join us?
Mission oriented. Everything we do is to advance ASU’s charter -- measuring who we include and how they succeed. We are staunch champions of learner success and put people first.
Flexibility. Our hybrid work environment prioritizes personal autonomy and trust around how work gets done. Staff touch base in person a few times per week with freedom to decide how, when and where.
Culture forward. We embrace a Positive Core culture: Belonging, Relational, Authentic, Visionary and Empowered. The ET fabric weaves together diversity, equity and inclusion applied in our daily work and interactions.
Scale of impact. Our work changes the world. With 180k+ learners, faculty, researchers and staff, working with ET means you have the capacity to improve many lives and entire communities.
World-class, low cost education. Our professional development is built in! ET encourages staff to seek additional certificates and degrees via ASU’s top ranked programs with major tuition breaks.
Exposure to industry giants. ET partners with Amazon, Apple, Cox, Verizon, Salesforce, Alteryx and a diversity of technology companies to enhance our innovations and deepen their impact.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To view the full position description and to apply online, please visit the following: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494#jobDetails=4671895_5494
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert