About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
bachelors degrees, masters degrees, certificates, and non-degree
courses through a variety of modalities including hybrid,
in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Through experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
The Learning Technology Support Specialist (LTSS) will support DEs
suite of learning technologies and processes as they are
experienced by our users (students, faculty, and staff). This
support will have a primary and a secondary focus: Primarily, the
LTSS will maintain DE learning technologies (including the LMS),
prepare courses to run between terms, repair courses as they run,
and bug fix. Secondarily, the LTSS will gather quantitative and
qualitative data on user experiences. They will work with input
from various DE units, including Advisors, IT, Academics,
instructors, and the students themselves, to develop a holistic
picture of where and how our users run into issues so that the
Instructional Designers (IDs) can design long-term solutions. The
LTSS will also support IDs in the ongoing standardization,
maintenance, and operation of courses term by term.
Full job description provided at time of interview.
- Support the ID team in the publication, standardization, and
maintenance of existing courses.
- Function as Tier 1 support for DE learning technology issues,
including LMS issues
- Maintain the LMS and adjacent learning technologies
- Respond to and fix user issues with designed aspects of courses
and third-party integrations, as they arise.
- Interface with Advising, Concierge, Academics, IT and other DE
units to improve response to, and learning processes collecting,
- Develop methodologies for collecting and analyzing UX data
generated by thousands of users.
- Apply user data to generate reports and inform iterative
improvements to the User Experience.
- Act as an expert resource for our Canvas learning management
system and related tools.
- Support and refine integrations of current educational
technologies to promote effective teaching strategies and to
improve student-learning experiences.
- Develop support materials, including tutorials, orientations,
help sessions, and workshops, as needed.
- Communicate knowledge and application of academic
- Remain current and maintain a thorough understanding of the
latest industry technology tools and trends in online
- Work with Information Technology and Instructional Technology
staff to develop new services and test new academic and learning
- Associates Degree.
- Strong skills for empathizing with and analyzing user
- Strong qualitative and quantitative data collection and
- Experience in managing multiple projects, and the ability to
schedule, prioritize and meet varied deadlines across these
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with strong
interpersonal and presentation skills
- Proven ability to stay current with rapidly changing
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Demonstrated competence working with Content Management Systems
and various media technologies
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Degrees and/or certifications in Data Analysis, UX Design, IT,
or other related fields
- Experience fixing user experience issues (bug fixing)
- Experience with graphic design and AV elements such as the
Adobe Creative Cloud suite.
- Experience in online classroom teaching or workshop
- Familiarity with Universal Design and other accessibility
principles to ensure course content is accessible to all
- Proven ability to work effectively and communicate with subject
matter experts, peers, users and media developers in
- Demonstrated competence in working with learning management
systems, such as Canvas.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS.
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity College Headquarters, Unity
College Distance Education, The Technical School for Environmental
Professions (opening in 2022), and the School of Environmental
Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at the Pineland Farms
campus. The facilities are within easy access to one of the
fastest-growing cities for startups in the country.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit eligible