Distance Education Instructional Designer
Director of Distance Education Instructional Design
NG New Gloucester
At Unity College, we dont just accept difference we
celebrate it, we support it,
and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our students,
and our community.
Unity College is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is
an affirmative action employer.
About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
bachelors degrees, masters degrees, certificates, and non-degree
courses through a variety of modalities including hybrid,
in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Through experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
The Instructional Designers primary responsibility is to manage
projects involving online course and micro-credential development
and maintenance for Unity College Distance Education. To accomplish
this, they will: Synthesize technical and pedagogical literacy and
apply that expertise, in collaboration with subject matter experts
(SMEs) and college administrators, to design engaging, experiential
learning activities; Iteratively improve upon student-learning
experiences through the collection and analysis of student data, as
well as feedback from course instructors and SMEs, to follow the
evolving needs of the professional spheres for which the students
are being prepared; Continuously evaluate the performance of the
courses and micro-credentials they design, and the efficacy of
established instructional design practices, using student
performance data; And, ensure the accessibility of the content and
activities they build using universal design principles and
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance standards.
Full job description provided at time of interview.
- Work collaboratively with Distance Education (DE) faculty and
staff to design and develop high quality, innovative, experiential
online courses, and micro-credentials.
- Act as an expert resource for our Canvas learning management
system (LMS) and related tools.
- Apply the appropriate learning and instructional theories for
excellent online course and micro-credential designs and
- Design online content for the Canvas LMS.
- Integrate current educational technologies to promote effective
teaching strategies and to improve student-learning
- Develop and lead trainings on online instructor and student
support materials, including tutorials, orientations, help
sessions, and workshops, as needed.
- Facilitate and coordinate administrative aspects of course and
micro-credential development, delivery, and support.
- Act as a consultant to Distance Education faculty and
leadership on the process of instructional design in teaching,
research, and creative works.
- Provide instructional design services, consultation and
assistance to help plan, coordinate, support, evaluate and improve
course, micro-credential and program designs.
- Identify and provide corrective action when needed in alignment
with the Quality Matters program and rubric.
- Develop and manage course and micro-credential development and
- Assist faculty and other subject matter experts in navigating
the Canvas LMS, in coordination with Instructional Technology
- Oversee all phases of the design process, aligning
instructional content to learning outcomes, while creating
instructionally sound and engaging learning opportunities, and
developing quality assessment tools.
- Oversee design revisions and outcomes-based improvements of
- Remain current and maintain a thorough understanding of the
latest industry technology tools and trends in online
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Strong research, content analysis, and content preparation
- Experience in leading and managing multiple, complex projects,
and the ability to schedule, prioritize and meet varied deadlines
across these projects.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
with strong interpersonal and presentation skills, while working
with diverse content and populations.
- Proven ability to stay current with rapidly changing
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous, and well poised.
Work Schedule / Availability Requirements
- Masters degree in Instructional Design, Education, or
- One year of experience working in a full-time instructional
design capacity, collaborating directly with faculty in online
curriculum building and course development.
- Experience developing non-traditional learning experiences,
micro-credentials, and/or badging.
- Proven knowledge of instructional design strategies, along with
the current techniques, tools, and procedures used in the design,
development, and evaluation of technology-enhanced and online
courses and programs.
- Experience with graphic design and AV elements appropriate for
online instruction, especially using the Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience in online classroom teaching or workshop
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality Matters, Online Learning
Consortium, and similar online learning rubrics.
- Familiarity with Universal Design and other accessibility
principles to ensure course content is accessible to all
- Demonstrated competence in working with learning management
systems, such as Canvas.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours
required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting the Colleges needs. Although Unity
College employees are generally scheduled to work at their
specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is
necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend
events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity College Headquarters, Unity
College Distance Education, The Technical School for Environmental
Professions (opening in 2022), and the School of Environmental
Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at the Pineland Farms
campus. The facilities are within easy access to one of the
fastest-growing cities for startups in the country.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit eligible