Faculty, Political Science
POSITION: Faculty, Political Science (Tenure track)
DEPARTMENT: Social and Behavioral Sciences
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Placement on salary schedule is dependent on
MINIMUM PAY RATE: Qualifications include education and related work
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity,
gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an
AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates
who would enhance the diversity of its faculty.
For consideration, the following items must be included with your
• A cover letter with your interest in being considered for the
• Philosophy of Teaching
• Unofficial Transcripts
• 2 letters of recommendation
The Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences at Joliet Junior
College is seeking a full-time tenure position to teach Political
Science. Applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to
teaching at the undergraduate level. Ability to adapt to new and
changing situations and demonstrate a positive attitude. They
should demonstrate respect for students, understand learning
styles, and apply understanding to institution-related activities.
They should exhibit integrity, diversity, and open communication.
This position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet
Junior College Faculty Contract. The start date for this position
is August 2023.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach Political Science courses, both survey and advanced
classes in areas of specialization.
2. Demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and learning.
3. Work closely with other instructors, special programs, and
services within the college to determine placements, curriculum,
and academic support.
4. Participate in course development, assessment, accreditation,
and planning activities.
5. Participate in appropriate departmental meetings, recruitment
activities, and serve on committees.
6. Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and community
7. Assist students with academic advising.
8. Demonstrate a strong understanding and commitment to the
community college mission.
9. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet
Junior College Faculty Contract.
10. Maintain a thorough knowledge of the subject matter necessary
to teach the assigned course load and keep informed of developments
in related areas.
11. Implement a teaching style and utilize instructional
technologies that will best meet student needs by accomplishing the
objectives of the Social and Behavioral Sciences Department.
12. Develop new courses as directed by student and departmental
13. Perform related duties as assigned.
14. Demonstrate commitment to equity and inclusion related to race
academic background socioeconomic status, ethnicity, religions,
sexuality, differing abilities, age, and/or gender identity.
15. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective
working relationships with other members of the college and
community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional
16. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect
and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and
well-being, innovation, and quality.
1. Master’s Degree in Political Science
2. Three (3) years of teaching experience at the college level with
a demonstrated commitment to teaching and working with a diverse
3. Proficient in the use of appropriate technologies for
1. Ph.D. Political Science/Related Field.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.