Coordinator for the Office of Cancer Research Training and Education
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 29, 2022
Massey Cancer Center
“To improve the lives of all Virginians by delivering cutting-edge cancer care through patient-centered prevention and treatment; high-impact, innovative research; community input and engagement; and education and training of the next generation of researchers and healthcare professionals.”
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Massey Cancer Center is a nationally ranked cancer center located in the heart of Downtown Richmond. All full-time staff are eligible for our generous benefits package that includes choices for health, vision, and dental coverage, life-insurance, short and long-term disability coverage, retirement planning, tax-deferred annuity and cash match programs, flexible spending accounts, tuition benefits, significant paid-time off,12 paid holidays, and more. Explore our benefits further here: https://hr.vcu.edu/current-employees/benefits/university-and academic-professional-benefits/
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Office of Cancer Research Training and Education at the Massey Cancer Center is seeking a Coordinator to leverage health system/university assets to address social determinants of health, increase interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research and interprofessional education, scholarship and practice among arts, humanities and sciences, and integrate Academic, Research, and Clinical Missions to advance human health through interprofessional education and collaborative practice.
The general responsibilities of this role are as follows:
- Professional management of the Massey Cancer Center’s scientific publications
- Serve as expert liaison and logistical coordinator for MCC scientific program leaders and execute MCC weekly seminar programs, leadership meetings, retreats and other scientific events.
- Facilitate projects in support of Cancer Center initiatives and ongoing programs under supervision of the Center Research Program Administrator.
- Provide analytical support by collecting and interpreting relevant financial data, maintaining tools and databases.
- Generates standard financial actions and reports across discretionary funds and grants to produce accurate and timely financial information to aid in decision making.
- Process Procurement payment and travel transactions according to State and University guidelines.
- Perform a variety of high-quality administrative duties in support of MCC’s leadership team including scheduling meetings and coordinating special projects.
- Massey Cancer Center supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment to fostering such an environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, or related field desired.
- This position requires an experienced and seasoned professional who is flexible and has the ability to manage multiple projects and calendars with strong attention to detail and ability to follow through.
- Proven database management skills including the ability to create and query reports
- Ability to gather, organize and maintain data and proficiency in graphing, data-entry, spreadsheet, presentation software and other technical applications
- Significant experience in office workflow management at the senior level with excellent organizational skills and the ability to change priorities quickly and often with little or no disruption to operations.
- Demonstrated experience working in an academic medical, healthcare environment working for multiple managers or a senior administrator, or equivalent.
- Experience with planning, executing and evaluating programs, meetings and conferences successfully, including vendor selection, site selection, contracting and budgeting. Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision and ability to work toward common goals as part of an administrative team.
- Experience developing and managing project budgets and tracking expenditures.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; proven ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments with competing deadlines. This position will manage the MCC intramural programs under the supervision of the Center’s Program Administrator
- Excellent oral and written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner; demonstrate initiative and maintain a high degree of accuracy and attention to the smallest detail
- Knowledge of University systems, as well as general administrative functions including travel, and complex meeting planning in an academic medical research or higher education environment
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with MS Office software programs. Ability to develop and maintain presentations and executive correspondences
- Ability to work with a high degree of flexibility and confidentiality
- An understanding and working knowledge of scientific publications and familiarity with NIH requirements is highly preferred.
- Experience in a NCI-designated Cancer Center and working knowledge of Cancer Center Support Grant (CCSG) administrative guidelines, activities and responsibilities, preferred
- Experience assisting in grant writing and submissions is highly desirable.
- Experience with Banner, eVA, state travel and purchasing policies is preferred
- VCU experience preferred
- An understanding of research grants and experience assisting in
grant writing is highly desirable.
Department: Massey Cancer Center
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Restricted Status: No
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
University Title: Sr. Research Coordinator 1 (34064N)
Contact Name: Massey Human Resources
Contact Email: MasseyHR@vcu.edu
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert