The Painter Foreman reports to the Assistant Director of the
Physical Plant or designee. In turn, he/she supervises all Paint
Shop personnel and interacts with other Physical Plant Foreman,
Heating Plant staff, Grounds staff, Building Services staff,
Support staff, Architects, outside vendors, utilities, inspectors,
and contractors hired to perform services related to the building
operations and maintenance. He/she provides coordination and
communication with these various constituents, verbally and in
writing, to ensure all work is completed in a consistent, efficient
manner. This position represents NIU and the Physical Plant and
conducts themselves in a professional manner when working with
members of the campus, vendors, and the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all duties of a Painter; plans and lays out work from
oral and written instruction; assigns and supervises the work of
Painter engaged in preparing, patching, finishing, and maintaining
of all surfaces.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
- Serve as liaison between the Assistant Director of the Physical
Plant or designee and the Paint Shop, promulgating initiatives and
directives. Represent the Employer’s right to operate and manage
its affairs and interpret this to the Employees. Motivate
subordinate staff to complete work per required quality standards
and review all procedures. Enhance relations through effective
communication and ensure workers adhere to all rules and policies.
Conduct performance evaluations for all Painters. Review
attendance, performance, and conduct of workers; administer
counseling statements or corrective action incident reports to
correct behaviors that are detrimental to the University in
conjunction with the Assistant Director of the Physical Plant or
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED :
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Successful completion of a recognized painter apprenticeship
program or four (4) years of full-time journey-level painter
3. Five (5) additional years of full-time journey-level painter
4. Valid/current driver’s license as required by the State of
Illinois for the type of motor vehicle(s) to be operated by the
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the
construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures
such as highways and roads.
2. Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures,
regulations and strategies to promote health and safety practices
for the protection of people, data, property, and
3. Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and
personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting
quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer
4. Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems
such as word processing, managing files and records, and other
office procedures and terminology.
5. Skill in time and resource management.
6. Skill in personnel resources management through motivating,
developing, and directing subordinates as they work, identifying
the best skillsets for completion of the job.
7. Skill in giving full attention to what other people are saying,
taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions
as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
8. Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and
weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to
9. Skill in determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to
do a job.
10. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and
11. Ability to operate personal computer with a general
understanding of application software, and an understanding of the
12. Ability to communicate information and ideas verbally and in
writing so others will understand.
13. Ability to perform physical activities that require
considerable use of one’s arms and legs and moving one’s whole
body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, squatting,
grabbing, carrying, pushing, pulling, bending, stretching,
twisting, reaching and handling of materials in the course of
completing work assignments.
14. Ability to stand and perform work duties for an extended period
of time in the process of completing projects and/or
15. Ability to see objects at close range or at a distance, and the
ability to adjust focus.
16. Ability to match or detect differences between colors,
including shades of color and brightness.
i See the Promotional Line List for a complete listing of the
classes in this/these promotional line(s).
ii Dependent upon institutional need, incumbents may be required to
obtain job-related certification or license, such as a valid
Illinois Department of Public Health Lead Abatement Worker License.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, accommodations
may be afforded to applicants/employees.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
Minimum Required Qualifications (SPS)
Additional Requirements (SPS)
Preferred Qualifications (SPS)
• Bend, stoop, climb ladders, reach, carry objects and crawl in
• Work inside and outside in hot/cold conditions
• Push, pull, lift, carry or maneuver heavy objects
• Standing and walking for extended periods of time
• Lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling object(s) weighing up to
• Climbing ladders and working from heights as necessary
Appointment and Compensation Details
Appointment and Compensation Details
Anticipated Appointment Start Date
Anticipated Appointment End Date
Percent of Staff Year
Standard Hours Per Week
Hourly or Semi-monthly Pay Rate/Range
Additional Position Details:
Application Review Details:
- Click on
Painter Foreman for more information including salary
ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and
- Please click on Human Resource
Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern
Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Applicants must be a current citizen or resident of the State
of Illinois to move forward in the hiring process.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal
background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal
background investigation results have been received and cleared by
- Fully complete the Education and Work History
sections of the application. Be specific on your
entire work history, including employment dates and
duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time
work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this
position; however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency
to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is
required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed
to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the
classification, including any specialty factors associated with
this position. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for
this position, you will receive a score based on your education and
experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding
your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and
CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your
address book to ensure timely delivery of any future
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your
online profile be personal use, not professional/work information:
personal email address, home address and phone numbers. The
information that you provide is used to make contact on search
updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able
to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects
your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the
Quick Link to Applicant
Is Background Check Required?
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a
Credentials Assessment and is based on your application materials
as submitted for this posting. A Credential Assessment is a
rating by the Human Resources Office of an applicant’s/employee’s
education, experience, and special credentials/qualifications
(licenses, etc.). In order to determine an appropriate rating for
each examination, a review of a résumé, cover letter,
university/agency official employment application, college
transcript, copies of license/certification and any other relevant
material may be required.
- Required documentation noted in the posting, such as a driver’s
license, licensures, or certifications MUST be uploaded with your
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points,
DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable
Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application to
receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service
- After assessment of all qualified applicants has been completed
for this position, the names with the top three (3) scores will be
referred to the hiring department for interview.
EEO Statement Summary
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an
equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis
of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age,
physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status,
sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political
affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional
qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and
state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to
nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries
regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required
to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and
to complete the required employment eligibility verification
document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and
application procedures include full opportunities for applicants
with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to
anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s
disability during either the application or interview process. An
applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate
in the employment process due to a disability may request that
accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form
. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative
Action and Equal Opportunity ( AAEO ) at firstname.lastname@example.org
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire
Read the Annual
Safety and Security Report.
Contact the Ethics and
Compliance Office at 815-753-1649
for a hard copy.
Read the Fire Safety
. Contact the Department of Environmental Health and
Safety at 815-753-0404
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- List of at least 3 References
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please rate your level of professional work experience
maintain an inventory of tools, equipment, and/or materials;
verifying and approving requests for tools, equipment and/or
materials; records management.
- No work experience directly related to the job function
- My work experience relevant to the job function was performed
- My work experience relevant was performed independently.
- * Do you have demonstrated experience directing and assigning
work to journey-level painters; developing specific goals, plans,
methods, and processes to prioritize, organize and accomplish work;
determining and scheduling assignments for work activities based on
work priority, quantity of equipment and skill of personnel;
monitoring employees’’ work levels and reviewing their work
performance; Inspecting and evaluating the quality and quantity of
work completed by personnel; providing project supervision?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of supervisory experience do you currently
possess? (This can include experience gained as a temporary
upgrade, sub-foreman, etc.)
- * Have you completed a union, private (in-house), military, or
trade school apprenticeship program that includes theory and
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess a valid State of Illinois driver's license?