Veterans School Certifying Official
The Veterans School Certifying Official is responsible for the
effective administration of all federal and state Veteran and
Hazlewood benefits programs in a timely and accurate manner. This
position is responsible for the oversight and daily operations of
the Veterans Center on campus.
Candidates Eligible to Apply
Position Funding Type
Posting Detail Information
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field from a regionally accredited
college or university required.
· Minimum of three (3) years of direct experience in Veteran
· Experience with SLS software, preferably Ellucian.
· Demonstrated experience interpreting complex state and federal
· Experience working in higher education.
· Strong relationship building and organizational skills
demonstrated by collaborating with multiple constituencies.
· Personal and professional commitment to diversity, equity, and
inclusion ( DEI )
· Master’s degree
· Five or more years’ experience as a School Certifying Official at
an institution of higher education that certifies more than 100
benefit users per semester.
Minimum Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrated experience working with Veteran Benefits in a
higher education environment.
- Demonstrated experience performing as a team player in measured
- Significant experience interpreting complex state and federal
· Performs difficult, complex technical and/or specialized office
support work, which requires the exercise of independent judgment,
the application of technical skills and a knowledge of detailed or
specialized activities related to the area to which assigned and to
prepare periodic or special reports.
· Applicable computer equipment and specified computer programs and
· Researches and assembles information from a variety of sources
for the completion of forms or the preparation of reports; makes
arithmetic or statistical calculations.
· Serve as liaison between students, staff, community and the
College regarding federal, state, and institutional programs and
guidelines as necessary.
· Performing technical, specialized, complex, and difficult office
· Supervisory principles and practices, training techniques and
program management principles.
· Working with diverse populations.
· Communicating information to coworkers, supervisor, other College
personnel, and the public etc. and to receive work direction.
· Providing excellent customer service, especially under difficult
circumstances and situations.
· Making presentations to other groups (internal and
Preferred Knowledge & Skills
Experience with Datatel Colleague
Experience working with VAOnce
· Promote external benefit programs available to veterans by
hosting seminars/workshops for veteran students; compile, promote
and distribute information to veterans regarding external benefit
· Serves as the liaison for the veteran/eligible dependent(s) with
the College’s administration and faculty and with other College
departments in clarifying information or clearing
· Responsible for submitting all reports and for responding to
audits in a timely and accurate manner.
· Counsel veterans/eligible family members on the various
educational programs and assist veterans/eligible dependents with
completion of application(s) for veteran educational
· Respond to veterans/eligible dependents inquiries regarding
status of certification.
· Act as the College’s certifying official with the Veterans
Administration, the Texas Veterans Commission, and the Texas Higher
Education Coordinating Board for all veteran educational
· Monitor progress of veterans/eligible dependents while enrolled
to ensure compliance with regulations and report changes as
· Submit the annual Hazlewood Database report to the Texas Higher
Education Coordinating Board as required and the annual “Approval
to Train Veterans” packet for the Texas Veteran’s Commission.
· Set up the Veterans Administration software program-VAOnce-with
accurate data for each academic year and maintain information
listed on the College’s website regarding veterans’ educational
benefits programs and services.
· Hires, trains, and supervises all staff and VA college work-study
students in the Veterans Center.
· Serves as the College’s advisor to the Veterans Student
· No or very limited physical effort required.
· No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
· Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work
Minimum Salary Range
Mid Point Salary Range
Maximum Salary Range
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Posting Will Be Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please NOTE : All applications must contain complete job histories,
which include job title, dates of employment (month/year), name of
employer, supervisors name and phone numbers and a description of
duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your
application may be considered incomplete. Applications with “See
attached” or “See resume” will not be accepted in lieu of a
complete application. Omission of data can be the basis for
disqualification; you may state “unknown” for any incomplete
fields. A scanned copy of unofficial transcript(s) must be attached
to the online application.
College of the Mainland is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
sex, age, national origin, religion, disability or veteran
College of the Mainland does not discriminate on the basis of
disability in the recruitment and admission of students, the
recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation
of its programs and activities, as specified by federal laws and
regulations within Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and 1992.
Quick Link to Share for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts (1 of 3)
- Letter of Recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Additional Transcripts (2 of 3)
- Additional Transcripts (3 of 3)