Steam Plant Operator
- Princeton University
- New Jersey, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 30, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Level
- Non-Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Steam Plant Operator
Job ID: 2022-14842
# of Openings: 1
Category: Facilities Management and Physical Plant
Are you interested in joining the world’s brightest talent in solving some of the world’s grandest scientific challenges of the 21st century? Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) is doing just that! Whether it be through science, engineering, technology or professional services, every team member has an opportunity to make their mark on our world. PPPL aims to attract and support people with a rich variety of backgrounds, interests, experiences, and cultural viewpoints. We are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and believe that each member of our team contributes to our scientific mission in their own unique way. Come join us! The 2nd shift (2 PM - 10 PM) Lead Plant Operator is a member of the Central Plant team charged with the operation, maintenance, and repair of the central plant that provides heating and cooling to all buildings at C & D Sites throughout the PPPL campus. This position supports the Central Plant Team in around-the-clock operations of the steam and chilled water central plant. Activities include repair, maintenance, and installation of mechanical equipment, and in maintenance of buildings, grounds, and utility systems by performing the following duties
personally or through subordinate supervisors.
- 65%- Operations: Operates the central boilers in accordance
with the safety rules and regulations set forth by the State of New
Jersey, Bureau of Boiler and Pressure Vessel compliance and all
equipment within the central boiler plant. Follows all safety and
environmental policies and procedures. Supports continuous
operations of the steam and chilled water generation and
distribution system for PPPL’s campus and experimental needs while
complying with all local and state regulations.
- 20%- Maintenance: Supports maintenance activities on plant
systems to provide continuous supply of steam and chilled water
required for operations. Follows preventive
maintenance program in conjunction with Facilities engineering and maintenance staff. Maintains proper water conditions by testing, treatment, and blow-down of boilers.
- 5%- Monitoring and coordination: Monitor auxiliary plant
systems, such as building automation system alarms, elevated water
tower, and fuel oil supply tank, etc.
Communicate and coordinate with supervisor. Maintains inventory and records of chemical usage.
- 5%- Inspection: Inspects operating machines and equipment for
conformance with operational standards. Confers with supervisor to
resolve maintenance problems and
recommend measures to improve operations and conditions of machines and equipment.
- 5%- Attend Training classes to meet PPPL requirements, improve technical knowledge and organizational skills.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in steam plant operation and maintenance.
- High school education or GED equivalent required.
- Vocational or Tech school training in the area of Industrial Plumbing repair and maintenance preferred.
- Experience interpreting and developing processes to comply with ES&H Directives, DOE Orders and OSHA standards.
- Knowledge of, supports, and consistently applies the Laboratory’s Integrated Safety Management (ISM) program and all ES&H requirements.
- Encourages others to be safety conscious and observe safety rules including use of safety equipment. Devotion toward safe work practices and unwavering drive to integrate those methods into all work planned on site.
- Understanding of underground utilities and their variations.
- Experience with Siemens Building Automation Software (Insight & Desigo CC).
- Holds a New Jersey Operating Engineers License: Minimum of Blue Seal (3rd Class license).
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for periods of time (min 2 hr).
- Must be able to climb fixed and portable ladders.
- Must be able to work 2nd SHIFT (2 PM - 10 PM); this shift could evolve over time but for now it's 2nd SHIFT.
- Ability to be on call, work over-time, off-shifts, weekends, and holidays.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert