Director of Business Incubation
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant
campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the
communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2
institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000
students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level
degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town,
the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or
supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia
Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an
exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and
professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to
academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018
Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other
Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize
Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving
our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars,
leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the
Statesboro Campus - Statesboro, GA
Business Innovation Group
The Director will have a critical role in continuing to grow the
entrepreneurial ecosystem in Georgia, particularly in the southeast
region through the Innovation Incubators (I2), but also broadly
throughout the state with the Georgia Enterprise Network for
Innovation and Entrepreneurship (GENIE) program. The Director will
also oversee the operations of the FabLab, the Business Accelerator
Program, and the Virtual Incubator Program and have overall
responsibility for launching and leading the university's industry
relations efforts. As such, the incumbent will work closely with
the other Business Innovation Group (BIG) units such as the Small
Business Development Center and Center for Business Analytics and
Economic Research, as well as in collaboration with the industry
initiatives within Colleges, Departments, and Centers. The Director
will primarily engage and support growth minded entrepreneurs and
expansion driven small and mid-size enterprises and work to connect
them with on and off-campus resources for the expressed purpose of
helping the region to create new businesses, add/retain jobs and
This position reports to the Associate Provost for Innovation and
Commercialization and supervises 3-5 full time employees. The
incumbent will be expected to contribute to fostering a culture of
innovation, collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusion
throughout BIG and its partner organizations.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of
- Coach, mentor, motivate and manage BIG team to exceed partner
- Collaborate on designing and implementing client focused
policies and procedures that ensure that Georgia Southern has an
effective framework for maintaining and growing business
relationships with strategic clients so that they will recognize
the university as an undeniable valued partner.
- Stay abreast of best practices and continually grow the
business incubation process/activities to improve sponsored
research funding and tech transfer activities.
- Work closely with internal and external partners to develop
entrepreneurial and business development programs.
- Serve in a team leadership capacity and collaborate with
external partners, department and the Associate Provost for
Innovation and Commercialization to deliver solutions to create
value and satisfaction for partners. Plays a key role in helping to
triage projects including identifying external partners that may
serve to guide the further development of the business incubation
- Develop, oversee and expand the activities and services of the
Innovation Incubator in Statesboro, Georgia Grown Innovation Center
in Metter, Hinesville Business Incubator, and state-wide GENIE hub
and spoke model, as well as to help identify potential sites (and
partners) for expansion.
- Work with university marketing and communications to develop
and implement strategies to effectively communicate the business
incubation and industry relation activities.
- Build relationships across campus, and throughout the
communities we serve, with information sessions, outreach programs,
and college-specific activation strategy, to create strong
pipelines and partnerships that will produce potential startup
- Create and host networking events, workshops, panels, and other
means to grow and strengthen the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Manage, track and maintain a customer relationship management
(CRM) database to monitor the process by which units measure
success/failure of members.
- Create and enhance repeatable engagement processes to deliver
desired clients solutions and outcomes. Proactively measure client
satisfaction. Accountable for resolving issues and potential
- Master's Degree in Business or related field OR a certification
as an entrepreneurship center/incubator director through
International Business Innovation Association (InBIA) or similar
- Five (5) or more years experience in developing industry
partnerships and supporting entrepreneurial activities (e.g.
startup business creation, startup governance, team formation,
business and financial modeling, strategic planning, investment,
- PhD or Master's degree in Entrepreneurship, Project Management
or in a technical discipline
- Project Management Certification (e.g. PMP)
- Ten (10) or more years experience working in C-Level corporate
position or successful exit from a startup company
- Experience with, and appreciation of, the differing cultures
and operating environments of academia, private investments
entities and private industry
- Experience working with entrepreneurial and business support
programs such as, SBDC, MEP, VBOC, etc.
$76,500 - $90,000
This is an exempt position paid on a monthly
Required Documents to Attach
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Cover Letter
- Two (2) Professional References
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service.
- Ability to work well in a diverse and inclusive environment
through commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office,
Google, and/or applications as required for specific position.
- Ability to represent the Business Innovation Group and Georgia
Southern University in a range of professional settings.
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet
Institutional goals and support University's mission for student
- Demonstrated knowledge of startup, business incubation,
entrepreneurship, and innovation management concepts.
- Knowledge of university culture and activities.
- Knowledge of the region's economic and entrepreneurial
Apply Before Date
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational
and human relations skills.
- Exceptional project/process management and communication
Open Until Filled
Application review may begin on October 14,
For more information or questions about a job posting, please
contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912)
478-6947 or by email at
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at
(877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background
investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating
your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University,
as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole
discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history
reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a
satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a
pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and
state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this
institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents
(BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are
available for your inspection upon request.
Legally authorized to work in the United States for the duration of
employment without assistance from the University.
Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without
Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free
Proof of valid driver's license upon hire and throughout
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities
to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status,
political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of
reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act
to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources:
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to
excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's
academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to
recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support,
promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive
Excellence. Candidates from underrepresented groups, whose work
furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who
bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and
backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or
without reasonable accommodation.
- Work generally performed in office environment.
- Workweek may extend beyond 40 hours.
- Evening and weekend work may be required.
- Travel may be required.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=250329&PostingSeq=1
- Position of Trust + Education