Registered Nurse II
ANTICIPATED HIRING RANGE:
$5,000 - $6,300
However, offer amount will be commensurate with candidate's
experience, education, skills, and training.
CSU CLASSIFICATION SALARY RANGE:
CSUB offers a best-in-class benefit
package for eligible employees that includes an array of medical
plans, choice of dental plans, vision coverage, retirement
participation in CalPERS, CSU tuition waiver, up to 24 vacation
days per year, sick leave with unlimited accrual, 14 paid holidays
per year and more! See our benefits
for additional information.
CANDIDATES ELIGIBLE TO APPLY:
Open to all
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
FOR PRIORITY CONSIDERATION, applications must be received by
August 19, 2022;
however, the position will remain
open until filled.
faculty, staff, and
students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized
or declare a medical or religious
exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently
open search process should be prepared to comply with this
requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at
CSU Vaccination Policy [calstate.policystat.com]
may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mission of the Student
Health Services (SHS) is to build a healthy campus community by
providing quality, caring, cost effective ambulatory healthcare and
health promotion services. As part of an institution of higher
learning, the Student Health Services participates in the
educational process by teaching students the skills for self-care,
promoting their health, advocating for themselves, and preventing
diseases thus enhancing their academic productivity leading to a
satisfying college experience. The R.N. II is part of the health
team serving the SHS mission.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specialized Nursing Functions
- Triage patients with more complex presentation and develop a
nursing diagnosis based on patient's physical condition and
interpretation of information obtained during patient intake.
- Documenting patient intake (i.e., health complaint or need for
Provider service), obtain vital signs, assess patient acuity (level
of clinical urgency).
- Provide Plan B delivery on site per protocol.
- Assisting physician with various procedures, perform medical
procedures to include EKGs, breathing treatments, medicinal
injections as needed, start intravenous access, and give I.V.
fluids, draw blood, and obtain culture specimens as ordered.
- Assist in family planning, STD, medical abortion services to
include providing information about pregnancy options and support
in a caring, non-judgmental, factual manner.
- Works in a lead role with the supporting nursing staff in
regard to equipment or procedural changes and implements in-service
trainings as needed.
- Responsible for keeping inventory of the health center's
medical supplies and medications (not medications in the Pharmacy)
including crash cart medications and to update/ordering them as
- Responsible for ensuring all medications and materials are
removed from the clinic before the expiration date.
- Responsible for coordinating the Quarterly Nursing Peer
- Keeping dated log of daily vaccine temperatures.
Infectious Control and Safety Coordination
- Assist in the Infectious Control and Safety portion of the
AAAHC accreditation including assisting in writing policies and
- Assist in updating the Infectious Control Manual.
- Responsible for sterilizing the surgical equipment in the
- Responsible for assisting in the scheduling, documenting, and
presenting of the SHS annual safety trainings.
- Responsible for tracking SHS staff CPR compliance.
- Case management
OTHER JOB DUTIES
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE –
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as
- Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to
safely and effectively complete assignments.
- QI Committee member
High school diploma
or equivalent. Completion of a professional nursing program in an
approved school of nursing or by additional preparation as approved
by the California Board of Registered Nursing. In addition, one (1)
year of professional nursing experience which has provided evidence
of the ability to work independently in specialized nursing
activities and to support the overall nursing program within the
Student Health Center; or equivalent combination of education and
experience which provides the required knowledge and
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, CREDENTIALS:
maintain a valid license as a Registered Nurse in the State of
California and certification in CPR/AED.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES (SKA's) –
- Working knowledge of electronic medical records.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high
level of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad
range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with
diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and
teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work
atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and
maintain effective working relationships within a diverse
population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively
communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both
verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the
ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments
with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of
computer applications including electronic medical records,
word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet
as well as online calendaring and email.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University
infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site
for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work occasional holidays and adjust working
hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to
perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
- Experience in Infectious Disease and/or Safety
- Experience in assisting with writing policies and
- Experience in lead work with other nursing staff
- Sex-positive attitude toward patients
- CPR ACLS
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment
utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
LIGHT WORK – involves mainly
sitting, up to 25% standing or walking; lifting medium weight
objects limited to 25 pounds.
Only those applicants possessing
experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the
office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal
Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience, and
interest in the position.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY EMPLOYEES UNION:
shall be the policy of the CSU in filling vacant CSUEU bargaining
Units 2, 5, 7 & 9 positions to fill such vacancies from among
qualified individuals currently employed on-campus except when it
is determined that it is necessary to appoint outside applicants to
meet campus workforce diversity goals or to provide specialized
skills and abilities that are not available from current
Satisfactory completion of a
background check (including a criminal records check) is required
for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment,
which may be rescinded if the background check reveals
disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the
candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to
satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the
continued employment of a current CSU employee who was
conditionally offered the position.
Sensitive positions are
designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of
individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to
children, concerns for the safety and security of the people,
animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the
CSU or individuals in the university community.
General: The person holding
this position is considered a general mandated reporter under the
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to
comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083,
revised July 21, 2017.
It is the policy of
California State University, Bakersfield to hire only United States
citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United
States. All new employees will be required to present documentation
verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be
requested to present a social security card at the time of initial
appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State
regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of
Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State
employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals
are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work.
California State University,
Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity.
Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age,
color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic
information, marital status, disability or covered veteran