ANTICIPATED HIRING RANGE:
$6,249 - $7,000
CSU CLASSIFICATION SALARY RANGE:
- However, offer amount will be commensurate with candidate's
experience, education, skills, and training.
CSUB offers a best-in-class benefit
package for eligible employees that includes an array of medical
plans, choice of dental plans, vision coverage, retirement
participation in CalPERS, CSU tuition waiver, up to 24 vacation
days per year, sick leave with unlimited accrual, 14 paid holidays
per year and more! See our benefits
for additional information.
CANDIDATES ELIGIBLE TO APPLY:
Open to all
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
FOR PRIORITY CONSIDERATION
, applications must be
received by June 27, 2022; however, the position will remain open
faculty, staff, and
students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized
or declare a medical or religious
exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently
open search process should be prepared to comply with this
requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at
CSU Vaccination Policy [calstate.policystat.com]
may be sent to email@example.com
Under the general direction of
the Enterprise Applications Director, this position is responsible
for designing data, systems, and infrastructure to understand,
curate, organize, provide, and integrate data from a myriad of
systems to a myriad of systems. The duties include acting as the
subject matter expert to identify campus' data sources,
collaborating with stakeholders to determine their data storage and
organizational needs, and using the information to create and
maintain data infrastructure to support campus missions.
Additionally, this position develops data management and storage
solutions to ensure CSUB data's is stored effectively and securely.
The incumbent works almost completely independently on the most
complex problems and work assignments.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Act as subject matter expert/specialist in designing, building,
and maintaining data warehouse architecture for the University.
Stakeholders and report writers rely on incumbent's expertise in
curating data from multiple data sources in order to support the
campus' goals of data driven decision-making.
Define all metadata standards for the data ecosystem.
Collaborate with campus stakeholders to identify data sources,
data definitions, and frequency of updates.
Work with campus stakeholders to identify future reporting
needs and requirements.
Partner with analysts to design optimized SQL queries, enabling
scalable reporting with a growing data volume.
Partner with data scientists and analysts to design effective
data pipelines required for data modeling.
Develop solutions to store and retrieve information.
Develop integrations to extract, transform, and load data into
other storage systems.
Design conceptual and logical data models and flowcharts.
Provide continual assessment of data systems performance and
identification and tuning of problem areas.
Monitor applications and make recommendations on upgrades or
Migrate data from legacy systems to new data store
Leverage CSU provided data lake to augment campus data
Research and properly evaluate sources of information to
determine possible limitations in reliability or usability.
Document current state, future state, and provide
recommendations for improvement.
Database Admin & Support
Install and configure data storage solutions to ensure
Improve system performance by conducting tests,
troubleshooting, and integrating new elements.
Define backup procedures and data restoration procedures.
Provide lead direction to data warehouse engineers and other
team members involved in extracting, transforming, and loading data
into university data warehouse.
Lead campus-wide projects involving stakeholders and technical
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE –
Bachelor's degree in
computer science or business or equivalent training and applied
experience. Three (3) years of recent programming and systems
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES (SKA's) –
- Proven work experience in developing and supporting data
- Ability to be proactive and understand problems from broad,
interactive perspective and can develop solutions that combine
information and ideas in new, unprecedented ways.
- Ability to lead teams and implementation efforts for assigned
projects using advanced communication and listening skills.
- Hands-on experience with data management, data storage systems,
and big data
- In-depth understanding of data storage structure principles to
maximize efficiency and flexibility.
- Ability to use data resource and productivity tools applicable
to the database management system.
- Ability to work and communicate with users to define and meet
data warehousing needs and requirements.
- Experience gathering and analyzing system requirements
- Knowledge of data mining and segmentation techniques.
- Expertise in RDBMS and cloud-based storage solutions.
- Expertise in Azure and/or Amazon data environments
(warehousing, storage, reporting).
- Familiarity with data visualization tools (Amazon, Azure,
Tableau, Pyramid Analytics).
- Proven analytical skills and a problem-solving attitude.
- Strong math and analytical skills are essential to complete job
- Able to compile and organize statistical information retrieved
and present findings to management
- Experience working with private and sensitive personal
- Confident in decision making and the ability to explain
processes or choices as needed
- Excellent multitasking skills and task management
- Ability to complete milestones and work toward multiple
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high
level of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad
range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with
diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and
teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work
atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and
maintain effective working relationships within a diverse
population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills: ability to effectively
communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both
verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the
ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments
with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of
computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets,
databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University
infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site
for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work occasional holidays and adjust working
hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to
perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- Prior work experience with PeopleSoft Applications.
- Proven work experience as a Data Architect.
- Master of Science degree in data analytics.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment
utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
SEDENTARY WORK - involves mainly
sitting; minimal walking and standing; lifting light weight objects
limited to 15 pounds.
Only those applicants possessing
experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the
office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal
Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience, and
interest in the position.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY EMPLOYEES UNION:
shall be the policy of the CSU in filling vacant CSUEU bargaining
Units 2, 5, 7 & 9 positions to fill such vacancies from among
qualified individuals currently employed on-campus except when it
is determined that it is necessary to appoint outside applicants to
meet campus workforce diversity goals or to provide specialized
skills and abilities that are not available from current
Satisfactory completion of a
background check (including a criminal records check) is required
for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment,
which may be rescinded if the background check reveals
disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the
candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to
satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the
continued employment of a current CSU employee who was
conditionally offered the position.
Sensitive positions are
designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of
individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to
children, concerns for the safety and security of the people,
animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the
CSU or individuals in the university community.
MANDATED REPORTER: Not
It is the policy of
California State University, Bakersfield to hire only United States
citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United
States. All new employees will be required to present documentation
verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be
requested to present a social security card at the time of initial
appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State
regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of
Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State
employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals
are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work.
California State University,
Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity.
Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age,
color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic
information, marital status, disability or covered veteran