Commensurate with education and
experience. The anticipated hiring salary range will be $6,833 -
CSU CLASSIFICATION SALARY RANGE:
CANDIDATES ELIGIBLE TO APPLY:
Open to all
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
FOR PRIORITY CONSIDERATION, applications must be received by
June 7, 2022
; however, the position will remain open until
faculty, staff, and
students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized
or declare a medical or religious
exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently
open search process should be prepared to comply with this
requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at
CSU Vaccination Policy [calstate.policystat.com]
may be sent to email@example.com
Under the administrative
direction of the Assistant Vice President, Business Services and
Chief Procurement Officer, the Assistant Director for Payment
Services oversees and implements comprehensive Accounts Payable and
Travel Programs for the University. The Assistant Director for
Payment Services manages the day-to-day operations of the Payment
Services Department, leads a team of support staff, and acts as a
strategic partner to support the mission and vision of the campus
and CSU system.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Payment Services Department Oversight and
Payment Services Staff
- Oversee and implement comprehensive Accounts Payable and Travel
Programs for the University and manage the day-to-day operations of
the Payment Services Department.
- Manage Payment Services departmental budget.
- Ensure accurate and timely payments including wire transfers,
procurement cards, travel cards, checks and electronic payments.
Communicate with staff to be aware of any problems or delays.
Reconcile general ledger accounts to be aware of any unreconciled
- Review and approve all control groups (group of vouchers)
before they are sent for payment. Verify there is a payment request
for each voucher, and that the payee name and dollar amount match
the paperwork. Approve and submit the groups in time for the check
run and train department Leads to assist with process as backup
- Ensure all processes are completed by month-end and that
deadlines are met.
- Provide primary oversight of the University's travel and travel
credit card program and assist in the supervision of campus'
Procurement Card Operation
- Supervise 1099MISC tax form process by ensuring forms are
mailed to vendors and electronic files are submitted to the IRS by
the annual January 31st deadline.
- Oversee the Concur travel system and associated campus training
through attending applicable CSU conference calls, working closely
with Travel Lead to train department staff so they can assist in
providing campus wide training, and writing, modifying, and
distributing training materials to the campus.
- Interpret Federal, State, local, and CSU policies and
procedures and ensure compliance while communicating updates and
important information to Payment Services staff and campus
- Annually review departmental policies and procedures for
accuracy and revise as needed through monitoring Chancellor's
Office (CO) communications ensuring CSUB Payment Services polices
and procedures match the CO's. Notify and train Payment Services
staff on any changes/updates to applicable laws, regulations,
and/or campus policies and procedures.
- Annually review and update all departmental forms. Work with IT
and ISEE to ensure they satisfy customer needs and meet audit
- Directly supervise and lead department leads and staff through
selecting, evaluating, and disciplining as needed. Plan, organize,
and direct others in their work while providing leadership and
encouragement of staff growth, cross-curricular experiences, and
- Determine short and long-range staffing requirements in
collaboration with the Assistant Vice President, Business Services
and Chief Procurement Officer. Complete appropriate hiring forms,
draft interview questions, assemble hiring committees, and final
recommendations to the AVP, Business Services and Chief Procurement
- Train Payment Services department Leads and staff in procedural
and/or technical matters.
- Meets with Payment Services department Leads and staff to plan
their career goals and progression.
- Answers staff and campus questions and/or delegate to Payment
Services Department Leads.
- Provide performance management of Payment Services staff
through coaching, motivating, assessment of performance, training,
and constructive feedback.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE –
- Act as a strategic partner by collaborating with IT,
Procurement, the Chancellor's Office, and other campuses for the
implementation of Procure to Pay as well as other projects related
to strategic sourcing.
- Accomplish strategic goals for Payment Services.
- Attend conference calls or meetings regarding CSU projects
involving Payment Services.
- Provide advice and recommendations regarding resolutions and
paths to get best results of projects related to Payment
- Listen to opinion of others and negotiate through constructive
conversations to come to an agreement on ideas and projects.
- Document important information and notes and share important
information with management and staff as needed.
- Complete any necessary questionnaires needed for projects.
- Allocate department resources for implementation and testing of
- Document new systems and processes and develop campus training
from an accredited college or university with major course work in
Accounting, Finance, Purchasing, Business Administration, Public
Administration, or related field preferred and five (5) years of
recent progressively responsible payment services experience in the
private or public sector, or a university administrative
environment. Experience should include previous supervision and
leadership of staff.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES (SKA's) –
- Regular and reliable attendance is required and the flexibility
to work remotely on occasion is available for this position.
- Must be familiar with bargaining unit contracts and apply
- Ability to lead diverse teams to support the operational
mission and vision of the University by fostering an ethical and
inclusive working environment.
- In-depth knowledge of a major Enterprise Resource Planning
- Working knowledge of financial record-keeping, timekeeping, and
- Strong working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting
Principles (GAAP) and how the accounts payable sub-ledger
- Strong experience reading and interpreting tax regulations,
code and policy.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply guidelines and
- Independently handle and track multiple priorities and projects
with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work within a high-paced environment with shifting
priorities, requiring flexibility.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high
level of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad
range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with
diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and
teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work
atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and
maintain effective working relationships within a diverse
population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively
communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both
verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the
ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments
with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of
computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets,
databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring
- Working knowledge of, or ability to quickly learn University
infrastructure policies and procedures
- Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, Purchasing, Business
Administration, Public Administration or related field.
- Strong working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting
- Strong Accounting experience, including reconciliations.
- Experience with PeopleSoft and Oracle software.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment
utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
LIGHT WORK – involves mainly
sitting, up to 25% standing or walking; lifting medium weight
objects limited to 25 pounds.
Only those applicants possessing
experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the
office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal
Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience, and
interest in the position.
Satisfactory completion of a
background check (including a criminal records check) is required
for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment,
which may be rescinded if the background check reveals
disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the
candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to
satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the
continued employment of a current CSU employee who was
conditionally offered the position.
Sensitive positions are
designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of
individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to
children, concerns for the safety and security of the people,
animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the
CSU or individuals in the university community.
Limited: The person holding
this position is considered a limited mandated reporter under the
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to
comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083,
revised July 21, 2017.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST:
A "designated position" in
the CSU's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate
accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest
forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices
It is the policy of
California State University, Bakersfield to hire only United States
citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United
States. All new employees will be required to present documentation
verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be
requested to present a social security card at the time of initial
appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State
regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of
Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State
employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals
are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work.
California State University,
Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity.
Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age,
color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic
information, marital status, disability or covered veteran