Teaching & Learning Specialist (16029)
- American University
- District of Columbia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 29, 2022
Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and outcomes prevail.
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of public policy, law, the arts, communications, international development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented, and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
The Teaching and Learning Specialist will be a key member of the Teaching and Learning Team for the Center for Teaching, Research & Learning (CTRL). This position aligns with CTRL’s mission of inspiring, mentoring, and celebrating faculty by facilitating the innovative and evidence-based approaches in teaching, research & learning. Responsibilities include providing one-on-one consultations, workshops, and other programming to support AU faculty (tenure-line, term, and adjunct) as well as researching and promoting emerging pedagogical innovations.
This position is responsible for conducting one-on-one consultations and relevant staff and faculty advisors, and will serve, as appropriate, as a liaison to other university offices at AU. The position is also encouraged to build working relationships with educational leaders at relevant professional organizations at other colleges and universities.
1. Teaching and Learning Support
- Provide one-on-one and group consultations with faculty about inclusive, evidence-based teaching and learning strategies and course design
- Develop and implement workshops and web resources to assist faculty in all aspects of teaching including, but not limited to, syllabus development, aligning learning outcomes with assessments, and incorporating innovative and evidence-based pedagogies.
2. Project Management
- Create, manage, evaluate, or participate in additional projects and/or initiatives enhancing use of emerging trends in teaching, research & learning.
- Collaborates with staff in CTRL in the design, development, and implementation of training initiatives, events, and programs related to teaching, research & learning (e.g., learning communities, teaching orientations, faculty dialogue spaces).
3. Pedagogical Research
- Research, learn to use, and create recommendations on emergent educational technologies, online learning trends and innovative pedagogical practices related to teaching, research & learning.
- Explore and pursue opportunities for external funding for initiatives within the position’s portfolio.
4. Other Duties
- Support the recruitment, hiring, scheduling and performance evaluation of 1–5 part time student employees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Full Time - 35 hours per week.
- Project Leader/Advisor B
- This is a union-eligible position. The union-eligibility of individual position incumbents will be determined based on the incumbent’s employer of record.
- Master's degree
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- PhD or equivalent
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
- 2+ years working across disciplinary boundaries in instructional design or faculty development settings.
- 2+ years college-level teaching experience
- 1+ years of educational development experience at an established, college-level center for teaching and learning.
- 1+ years of experience working on diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives at an institute of higher education.
- Strong understanding of, and familiarity with, the science of learning and evidence-based educational practices, including inclusive pedagogy and Universal Design for Learning frameworks.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate on a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences.
- Experience with Learning Management Systems and other teaching technologies.
- Desire to maintain professional competence and continued skill development through participation in appropriate conferences and professional development opportunities.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, several leadership development certificates, and has been recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options .
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit represented by SEIU Local 500. That means the terms and conditions of your employment are governed by university policy (including the Staff Personnel Policies Manual) and any collective bargaining agreement entered into between American University and SEIU Local 500.
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert