Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant
leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We
envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all
identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully
included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent
every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally
recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of
public policy, law, the arts, communications, international
development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented,
and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its
strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for
all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for
creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
The Coordinator, Academic Services provides student-centered
academic and scholarly support across all disciplines. The Academic
Support Team’s peer educator programs (PEP) include, but are not
limited to, Supplemental Instruction (SI), the Peer-Assisted
Student Support ( PASS) Program, referral tutoring, Math &
Stats Program, and the Writing Center.
The Coordinator, Academic Services supports the overall mission of
PEP, with a primary focus on Tutoring (“PASS Program, referral
tutoring, Math & Stats Program”). This position coordinates all
day-to-day activities of Supplemental Instruction and Tutoring,
conducts outreach and engagement activities on behalf of the PEP,
and provides direct academic support to students. The coordinator
is also responsible for training and supervising PEP tutors and
updating and maintain PEP procedures in collaboration with the
Assistant Director of Student Academic Services.
- Administration : In coordination with colleagues
on the DUE/VPASS team and under the leadership of the Director,
coordinate all day-to-day activities of the PEP with a primary
focus on Supplemental Instruction and Tutoring . This includes
conducting research, gathering materials, scheduling personnel and
spaces, conducting observations of tutoring sessions, assessing
tutors’ quality of instruction and support, and debriefing with
tutors on observations. Monitor and respond to the peer educator
email account and field student inquiries.
- People Management and Training: Assist the Assistant
Director with hiring protocols and training to ensure consistency
with all DUE/VPASS PEP operations. Directly responsible for the
recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of tutors.
- Academic Support: Work on various elements of academic
support in collaboration with colleagues in the UEAS.
- Communication and Outreach: Conducts program outreach,
marketing, and tabling, for students and faculty, to increase
awareness of all students’ academic services peer educator
- Other duties as assigned.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This position is eligible for hybrid work modality (3 days
in-person, 2 days remote).
- Occasional weekend work may be required.
Required Education and Experience
- Full Time - 35 hours per week.
- Coordinator/Analyst A
- This is a union-eligible position.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Must possess expertise in academic skill development, tutoring,
writing instruction, and tutor training.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Master's degree or equivalent
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Experience teaching writing at the college level and working
with students with diverse backgrounds is strongly preferred.
- Experience with peer educator programs
- Seeks out, values, and utilizes diverse knowledge and
- Experience incorporating anti-racist practices in job
- Experience with WConline or similar scheduling system.
- Excellent customer service and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and perform multiple tasks
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Well-developed written, verbal, and interpersonal communication
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with
students and faculty.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work related
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time
with or without notice.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching
retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their
families, several leadership development certificates, and has been
recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly
worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique
benefit options .
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit represented
by SEIU Local 500. That means the terms and conditions of your
employment are governed by university policy (including the Staff
Personnel Policies Manual) and any collective bargaining agreement
entered into between American University and SEIU Local 500.
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log
intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU,
please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: