Coordinator, Student Academic Services (16781)
- American University
- District of Columbia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 29, 2022
Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and outcomes prevail.
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of public policy, law, the arts, communications, international development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented, and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
The Coordinator, Academic Services provides student-centered academic and scholarly support across all disciplines. The Academic Support Team’s peer educator programs (PEP) include, but are not limited to, Supplemental Instruction (SI), the Peer-Assisted Student Support ( PASS) Program, referral tutoring, Math & Stats Program, and the Writing Center.
The Coordinator, Academic Services supports the overall mission of PEP, with a primary focus on Tutoring (“PASS Program, referral tutoring, Math & Stats Program”). This position coordinates all day-to-day activities of Supplemental Instruction and Tutoring, conducts outreach and engagement activities on behalf of the PEP, and provides direct academic support to students. The coordinator is also responsible for training and supervising PEP tutors and updating and maintain PEP procedures in collaboration with the Assistant Director of Student Academic Services.
- Administration : In coordination with colleagues on the DUE/VPASS team and under the leadership of the Director, coordinate all day-to-day activities of the PEP with a primary focus on Supplemental Instruction and Tutoring . This includes conducting research, gathering materials, scheduling personnel and spaces, conducting observations of tutoring sessions, assessing tutors’ quality of instruction and support, and debriefing with tutors on observations. Monitor and respond to the peer educator email account and field student inquiries.
- People Management and Training: Assist the Assistant Director with hiring protocols and training to ensure consistency with all DUE/VPASS PEP operations. Directly responsible for the recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of tutors.
- Academic Support: Work on various elements of academic support in collaboration with colleagues in the UEAS.
- Communication and Outreach: Conducts program outreach, marketing, and tabling, for students and faculty, to increase awareness of all students’ academic services peer educator programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position is eligible for hybrid work modality (3 days in-person, 2 days remote).
- Occasional weekend work may be required.
- Full Time - 35 hours per week.
- Coordinator/Analyst A
- This is a union-eligible position.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Must possess expertise in academic skill development, tutoring, writing instruction, and tutor training.
- Master's degree or equivalent
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Experience teaching writing at the college level and working with students with diverse backgrounds is strongly preferred.
- Experience with peer educator programs
- Seeks out, values, and utilizes diverse knowledge and experiences.
- Experience incorporating anti-racist practices in job duties.
- Experience with WConline or similar scheduling system.
- Excellent customer service and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and perform multiple tasks simultaneousl.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Well-developed written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students and faculty.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work related information.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn more about our health and safety directive.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, several leadership development certificates, and has been recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options .
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit represented by SEIU Local 500. That means the terms and conditions of your employment are governed by university policy (including the Staff Personnel Policies Manual) and any collective bargaining agreement entered into between American University and SEIU Local 500.
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert