Building Service Worker (Custodial)
- Joliet Junior College
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 29, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Auxiliary Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Building Service Worker (Custodial)
POSITION: Building Service Worker 2A
DEPARTMENT: Facility Services
DIVISION: Administrative Services
UNION: Facility Services
REPORTS TO: Custodial Superintendent
PLACEMENT: Buildings and Grounds Level 2A
MINIMUM PAY RATE:t$18.60 per hour 2A
*Internal candidates (2B): Hourly rate is subject to the terms of the current union contract.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of custodial duties in order to provide a clean, orderly and safe environment; and performs related work as required. Displays knowledge of safe operation of equipment while maintaining the level of safety required and exhibited by JJC and OSHA requirements. Assures assigned work is completed in a professional efficient manner. Accountable for prompt, efficient customer service.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Clean and sanitize areas in accordance with required cleaning methods. Areas may include classrooms, offices, washrooms, etc.
2. Assist in shoveling the sidewalks/clearing snow and other related seasonal custodial care around the exterior of the campus buildings.
3. Take classes as offered for custodial duties.
4. Observe safety standards and practices.
5. Attitude: must demonstrate enthusiasm, loyalty to department and leadership, maturity, tact and diplomacy in dealing with co-workers and the public.
6. Report all damage to the Lead Custodian as noticed in assigned area or building.
7. Report all damage of exterior campus facilities and equipment to the Custodial Superintendent
8. Participate in achieving departmental and college goals and objectives.
9. Perform other related duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or GED equivalent.
2. One (1) year of previous custodial experience.
3. Must pass physical examination.
4. Ability to lift, carry, stack and maneuver objects on a regular basis with a minimum weight of 50 lbs.
5. Be willing and able to go up in an open lift for window cleaning to heights of approximately 25 feet.
6. Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s license and be able to operate a college motor vehicle.
7. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
8. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and well-being, innovation and quality.
1. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
2. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - EQUIPMENT AND/OR MACHINES USED
1. Must be familiar with and able to use the following: scrubbers, buffers, burnishers, small and large vacuums, personnel lift for window washing, pick-up truck with power lift gate; trash compactor, hand carts, and all related equipment.
2. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, bend, use hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb ladders or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, see and hear, push/pull equipment and supplies.
3. Ability to lift, carry, stack and maneuver objects on a regular basis with a maximum weight of 50 lbs. is required.
4. Vision requirements include close and distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
5. Ability to work from a ladder or power lift above ground to a height of 30 feet.
1. Work is indoors/outdoors.
2. The employee must be able to work safely in an environment containing caustic chemicals, cleaning materials, dust and noise.
3. Frequently required to work under inclement weather conditions.
4. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and occasionally loud. Be willing and able to go up in an open lift to heights of approximately 30 feet.
5. Display knowledge of safe operation of equipment while maintaining the level of safety required and exhibited by JJC and OSHA requirements.
1. Be available for any of the 3 shifts at any given time.
2. Any shift changes will be communicated via 2 weeks’ notice.
3. (90) ninety calendar day probationary period.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert