Third Cook - Baker
- Amherst College
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 28, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Food Services Management
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Third Cook - Baker
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Third Cook- Baker position. The Third Cook - Baker is a full-time, year-round position, starting at $19.76/hour. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse
This position is eligible for a bonus of up to $1500.00 payable upon completion of 3 months of service.
The Third Cook - Baker supports the efforts of Amherst College Dining Services in providing the diverse campus community with excellent service and production of our menus. This individual takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. This position ensures that the quantity and quality of our production are consistent with the standards of Dining Services and works with members of the team to meet and exceed our customers' expectations.
The Third - Baker produces menu components from fresh and exceptional ingredients and is proficient in the technical skill and knowledge required to achieve this, being well versed in food, its history, and trends. This position involves direct customer interaction and display/demonstration cooking requiring oneself to present at all times in a professional, approachable and supportive manner.
The work schedule varies and corresponds to the College's operational needs, but generally is Sunday through Thursday, beginning at 6:00 AM. At times, this position may be asked to assist with evening production in student dining or assist with catering and campus-wide events at any time. As our work is central to student life, their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times is required. In addition, the position is designated as providing essential services and should report to work, or remain on duty even though the College is closed.
Summary of Responsibilities:
● Prepare and provide quality baked goods for catering, faculty dining, the coffee house, and student
dining within department standards
● Prepare assigned menu items to standard, including hot and cold food menu items while adhering
to standardized recipes and production methods
● Maintain operational standards and Health Department regulations
● Perform work in a safe and efficient manner; ensure operational organization before, during, and
● Ensure that equipment used is in sound, working order; tools used are properly cared for and
● Effectively collaborate with a diverse group of colleagues and students
● Communicate operational needs and concerns effectively and proactively
● Help to maintain the accuracy of production schedules and usage reports
● Maintain a commitment to the quality of our resources and work to prevent loss and eliminate
● Promote our standards of quality and service and the safety of our work environment
● Maintain bakery in a clean, orderly, and sanitary manner, breakdown equipment during shutdown
periods, and provide training for all employees in the bakery
● Help create, maintain, and serve seasonal, fresh menus from exceptional ingredients
● Assist with product and process refinement
● Assist with new product research and development
● Corrects discrepancies in production sheets and recipes
● Assist with the inventory of storage and supply areas
● Inspect deliveries for quality and accuracy and communicate deficiencies
● Communicate product needs through appropriate channels
● Work effectively to reduce waste and loss of supply and goods
● High School Diploma or equivalent
● Current ServSafe Manager Certification or be able to achieve within (6) months of employment
● Allergen Awareness as required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or be able to achieve
within (6) months of employment
● 2 years of food preparation experience including baking and pastry
● Strong verbal and written communication, customer service, organizational, and time
● Ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
● Ability to mathematically reduce and expand measurements required by recipe
● Attention to detail
● Work flexible hours based upon departmental needs including extended shifts
● Commitment to or experience working with a diverse community
● Successful completion of a pre-employment physical and lift test
● Associate's degree or equivalent in Culinary Arts
● 3 - 5 years' experience in a similar, high volume, scratch operation
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. (Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Third-Cook---Baker_JR3434
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert