Tenure Track Assistant Professor, Public Health
Recruitment #: F2213
Review Date: Priority Review begins 11/30/22 | Open until filled
Department: HEXS / COE
Salary Rate: $55,303 - $59,387 - WOU’s salary schedule appears in Article 16 of the CBA [CBA Article 16 found at https://wou.edu/hr/files/2020/11/WOUFT-CBA-FINAL-2020-2023.pdf]
The Division of Health & Exercise Science invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Public Health. Candidates with teaching experience, an established research program, and a focus on programs, services or policies to improve quality, utilization and/or access to health care services in the United States are preferred. Successful candidates will join a dynamic, student-centered, and collegial division with 10 other tenure-track faculty and several non-tenure track faculty (please see our website at https://wou.edu/hexs/).
The teaching load is three 4-credit courses per term with a primary responsibility for Public Health Program Planning and may also include Health Communication, Health Navigation, Chronic Diseases, Environmental Health, and seminars/courses in the applicant’s specialty areas. Engaging in high-impact educational practice, regular public health scholarship and providing meaningful service to the division, university and profession is expected.
Our student population in Public Health is very diverse. In 2021-2022 we had 117 majors, and the student to faculty ratio was no more than 24:1.
● Earned Doctorate (Ph.D., Dr. P.H., or Ed.D.) in public health, health promotion or health education is required (ABD considered if degree requirements are completed prior to September 16, 2023. Candidates holding a M.P.H. degree in addition to an earned doctorate in a closely related field will be considered.
Women, Black, Indigenous and People of Color, veterans, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply for this position, even if they do not meet qualifications exactly as listed. We are most interested in finding the best person to fulfill this role within our university community, and that candidate may be someone with transferable skills and experience rather than exact qualifications.
Western Oregon University only considers visa support for Tenure Track employees placed in specialized positions that are continuing regular university appointments for multiple years.
Required Application materials: You may submit all materials online at www.wou.edu/prostaffapp
1. WOU Employment Application form available at https://wou.edu/hr/employment/employment-application-form-faculty-unclassified-professional-positions/ - unclassified/faculty
2. Letter of interest that clearly addresses the following: research efforts; teaching philosophy and experience; and how you create a classroom and university environment that incorporates the values and imperatives of diversity, inclusion, equity, and accessibility–specifically related to our university’s status as an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution.
3. Current curriculum vita
4. Names and contact information for three (3) references. Three current letters of recommendation will be required prior to an interview.
5. Unofficial copy of transcripts for highest degree earned.
6. Diversity Statement: Review the Board Statement on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (found at https://wou.edu/board/files/2021/05/Board-Statement-on-Diversity-Inclusion-Equity-and-Accessibility-042121.pdf) and respond to the following Diversity questions (found at https://wou.edu/hr/files/2021/11/DEI-Statement-Requirements.pdf).
A criminal background check will be completed as a condition of employment.
Employee COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement:
All WOU students and employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All newly hired employees must meet the vaccination requirement or file an exemption prior to their first day of employment.
Benefits: Western Oregon University offers an excellent benefits package for eligible employees which includes 95% premium paid healthcare, a generous retirement and vacation package, and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities. http://www.wou.edu/hr/benefits/
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Western Oregon University is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and encourage people of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. We embrace our differences, and know that our diverse team is a strength that drives our success.
Western Oregon University is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodations, please email us at employment[at]wou.edu and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Contact Information: Questions regarding this position may be directed to Dr. Dan Dowhower, Search Committee Chair, at 503-838-9042 or email@example.com.
Please note that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to contact each applicant regarding the status of each position or reply to candidates' inquiries via phone or email.