- Amherst College
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 28, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the position of Custodian. The Custodian position is a full-time, year-round position, starting at $18.60/hour. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Custodian supports the efforts of Custodial Services to maintain safe, clean, orderly, and sanitary conditions throughout the campus community.
The Custodian takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Work schedule: The position is designated as providing essential services and may be required to report to work, or remain on duty even when the College is closed. Our work is central to student life and their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times may be required. The work schedule may vary and corresponds to the College's operational needs, but generally is Monday through Friday, 2pm - 10:30pm.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
Perform general custodial work required to maintain safe, clean, orderly, and sanitary conditions in buildings and their adjacent grounds in accordance with established work routines, cleaning methods and procedures. Conduct room inventories using a tablet. Effectively collaborate with a diverse set of colleagues, ensuring a respectful inclusive climate.
Strip, screen, and refinish floors, extract carpets, wash walls, ceilings and glass, perform snow removal, support the campus-wide recycling program, as well as complete monthly work request forms, building inspections, and student damage reports.
Special Requests/General Maintenance
Perform general maintenance duties, move furniture or custodial equipment, and assist Special Services as needed.
All employees are expected to participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- A valid driver's license and successful credentialing is required in order to operate college vehicles.
- Basic math skills including adding and subtracting
- Basic computer skills
- Strong customer service, organizational, and time-management skills
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills including ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Commitment to working with a diverse community, and to contributing to an inclusive environment for all
- Attention to detail
- An acceptable criminal offender records information (CORI) check
- Successful completion of pre-employment physical and lift test
- High School or Vocational Diploma, or equivalent
- 6 months of cleaning experience
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Custodian_JR3400
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert