High Point University is seeking a new colleague who specializes in Sports Media in the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication. This is a position in the Department of Journalism and Sports Media.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to engage productively with students at all skill levels and a commitment to contribute to the development of a vibrant sports media curriculum. The optimal candidate should be able to teach introductory through advanced sports media classes and have experience particularly in sports broadcasting on radio and/or television platforms.
- Master’s degree required. Terminal degree (MFA or PhD) preferred. ABD candidates will be considered. Functional knowledge and understanding of principles, practices and industry techniques used in producing sports broadcasts, including studio sports shows, local television sports anchoring, and play-by-play announcing of sporting events. A balance of professional industry experience and academic teaching experience. Ability to work well with colleagues in a team environment. Demonstrated ability to work with and teach the use of contemporary digital video hardware and software. Must be proficient in the use of production industry accepted editing software, including Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
- University-level teaching experience and student-centered learning preferred. Sports industry experience a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach introductory and advanced sports broadcasting courses. Work in conjunction with sports media and broadcast journalism faculty and students to produce sports broadcast segments and shows. Develop curriculum and assessment materials, teach courses, evaluate students, and adhere to university guidelines on evaluation and student tracking.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff and other subject-matter experts on curricular and program initiatives. Work in a team environment with staff specialists and students in the operation of a weekly newscast. Maintain technical currency as a media specialist. Willingness to take on new teaching responsibilities, learn new technologies, hardware and software in support of teaching responsibilities.
Applicants should apply online at https://highpoint.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Highpoint-Faculty/job/High-Point-University/Sports-Media-Faculty--Open-Rank--Non-tenure-Track_R0004974
Screening of applications will begin November 28, 2022 with the position remaining open until filled. It is anticipated the position will begin employment with the fall 2023 semester.
Attach the following documents as one file:
- A cover letter of interest briefly addressing your qualifications and fit for the position A current CV with professional and academic history Examples of innovative and effective teaching (if applicable) Samples of sports media work Email and phone contact information for three (3) references
Only complete packages electronically submitted will be considered and reviewed. High Point University is committed to excellence and diversity, is an EOE, and can interview only those who are qualified to work in the USA.
For additional information regarding this position, please contact Dr. Bobby Hayes, Chair of Journalism and Sports Media (email@example.com).
The Nido R. Qubein School of Communication is a dynamic community of 31 teachers, scholars and professionals serving approximately 1000+ undergraduate and graduate students. It houses ten different undergraduate majors, nine minors, and two graduate programs. More information about the school can be found here: http://www.highpoint.edu/communication/.
High Point University is a private liberal arts institution with approximately 5,200 undergraduate and graduate students from across the US and more than 50 other countries. U.S. News & World Report ranked HPU #1 among Regional Colleges in the South, #1 for Best Undergraduate Teaching in the South, and #1 among Up-and-Coming Schools in the South. High Point University currently offers 58 undergraduate majors, 57 undergraduate minors and 13 graduate degree programs, including doctoral programs in educational leadership, pharmacy, and physical therapy. To find out more about HPU, please visit our website: http://www.highpoint.edu/.
At High Point University the faculty and staff are devoted to ensuring every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. High Point University is a God, family, and country school.
High Point University does not sponsor H1-B Visas. High Point University prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses. The University considers a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as a core component of our mission and encourages all applicants to apply.