Dean, School of Communication
- Emerson College
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 25, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Public Relations & Advertising
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Dean, School of Communication
Join our community and experience Emerson College!
Emerson College invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean, School of Communication. Reporting to the Provost, the Dean will have the opportunity to provide strategic leadership and vision for a historic and innovative School of Communication within a College grounded in the liberal arts and dedicated to developing future leaders in the fields of communication and the arts.
Balancing rigorous academics with hands-on, real world learning experience, the School of Communication is home to approximately 1,218 undergraduate students and 1,503 graduate students. The Dean manages approximately 64 full‐time faculty and 240 affiliated faculty members within the School's four departments. The departments are: Communication Sciences and Disorders, Communication Studies, Journalism, and Marketing Communication.
Serving on the Provost's leadership team, the Dean serves as academic leader of the School of Communication with responsibility for:
- developing and bringing to life a vision and strategic goals for the school's mission;
- ensuring pervasive implementation of Emerson College's core values of diversity, equity, and inclusion across the academic enterprise and student experience;
- leading the intellectual vitality and creative growth of programs in expanded modalities (onsite and online) at Emerson's campuses and globally;
- overseeing key aspects of faculty recruitment, hiring, development, and tenure and promotion;
- identifying, prioritizing and articulating the School's interests and needs to internal and external audiences;
- convening the faculty;
- establishing, sustaining, and refreshing intellectual coherence and academic cooperation across schools and the Marlboro Institute;
- managing personnel, budget, planning and processes;
- providing departments with guidance on creating, positioning, reimagining, and/or launching academic majors and programs and expanding prospective student demographics;
- fostering successful development and continuity of academic department leadership;
- assisting in fundraising and development initiatives in coordination with the Provost, President and the College's campaign;
Diversity and inclusion are core values for Emerson College. The successful candidate must have the ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and staff from diverse backgrounds. Members of historically underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Emerson College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages diversity in its workplace.
- Demonstrated academic leadership and administrative experience
- Teaching and research record commensurate with appointment as a tenured faculty member in one of the School of Communication's disciplines
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive and academic excellence and shared governance
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across disciplines and grow institutions in strategic, data-driven and innovative directions
- Preferred qualifications include a terminal degree in a discipline offered by the School of Communication and demonstrated experience as a successful fundraiser
Applicants are asked to submit:
- Statement of interest
- Statement describing your demonstrated commitment to inclusive excellence
- Current C.V.
Review of applications will begin November 15, 2022.
Grade of Position: 23-16E
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
In addition to a competitive salary, Emerson College is committed to the health and well-being of our employees and family members. We offer a generous benefits package to regular staff scheduled to work 20+ hours per week.
Benefits include outstanding health plans with limited out-of-pocket expenses, dental plans, generous time-off programs, and a 403(b) retirement benefit with a 9% employer contribution once eligible. Additional benefits such as life and disability coverage as well as commuter offerings are available.
Please refer to our benefits website for a full list of benefits and eligibility requirements.
To apply, please visit: https://emerson.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Emerson_College_Staff/job/Boston-Campus/Dean--School-of-Communication_JR004547
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands. Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. Emerson College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender in its educational programs or activities. Emerson has designated the Associate Vice President, Title IX, and Clery Coordinator to respond to inquiries regarding the College Sexual Misconduct Policy. The Title IX Coordinator may be reached at 8 Park Plaza, Transportation Bldg, Room 230 Boston, MA 02116; Telephone: 617-824-8999; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Clery Report
In accordance with the federal Clery and Campus SaVE Acts, Emerson College commits to providing all current and prospective students and employees with access to the annual campus security reports for each of our campuses. This report may be accessed from the Emerson College Police Department website.
Information on Emerson College staff grade range jeid-f5ba6523d090e44286abbb5eacd577da
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert