Associate Director - Internal Communications
About the Opportunity
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and
level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive
list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of
personnel so classified.
Reporting to the Director of Internal Communications, the Associate
Director of Internal Communications provides excellent content
development, strong project management and creative capability for
internal communications within the Office of the Provost (OTP) and
across the division. The Associate Director will help to articulate
Northeastern's academic plan and strategic priorities to internal
audiences and will serve as a strategic partner to the Director of
Internal Communications. The incumbent will become the subject
matter expert for the centers, institutes and impact engines that
report directly to the Office of the Provost and will drive
outstanding and creative content and tactical execution through a
variety of channels - with an expert command of writing and
creative expertise. The Associate Director will be an active
partner within the OTP organization, helping elevate and
communicate programs and initiatives focused on engaging and
educating the diverse Northeastern community, as well as supporting
a culture of excellence.
- Partner with the Director of Internal Communications, on the
creation and implementation of the Office of the Provost (OTP)
Internal Communications Strategic Plan; Identify and evaluate key
performance indicators and evaluate regularly.
- Serve as the first point of contact to the centers, institutes
and impact engines that report directly to the Office of the
Provost; Provide strategic counsel and execute on matters that
pertain to developing high-impact communications and creative
assets (both digital and print) aimed at highlighting current
initiatives related to the Academic Plan to internal
- Design and publish a variety of digital projects such as
websites, presentations and internal marketing materials. Take on
multiple projects at the same time and work with cross-functional
teams throughout the OTP.
- Collaborate with the Provost's team in developing the OTP
presentations, virtual offerings, announcements and communications
for all audiences.
- Plan, create and manage multiple internal communications within
the OTP through channels and platforms such as emails, virtual
divisional meetings, webinars, PowerPoint presentations,
- Curate and develop content for the OTP website (both written
and digital); Maintain the OTP's websites in partnership with the
Director of Internal Communications.
- Execute marketing and communications efforts on divisional
events including publicizing and creating print, web, digital and
- Connect and collaborate with cross-disciplinary teams within
the University Global Network to develop a deep understanding of
communication needs and challenges.
- Partner with divisional and central marketing and
communications teams throughout the University to respond to
inquiries and coordinate divisional contributions to support
- Ensure that all current and new initiatives from the OTP align
with brand governance: https://brand.northeastern.edu/.
And go through brand review prior to publishing anything in
- Write and edit communications as they pertain to the
development of new, innovative programming strategies.
- Perform regular content audits to determine content
opportunities as well as to increase internal audience
- Support event planning around communications and marketing for
the OTP that reinforce and highlight divisional priorities and
support critical needs of the division. Work closely with the
Director of Operations around event logistics, event asset creation
and day-of execution, including Academic Honors Convocation,
University Leadership Retreat, etc.
- Other duties as requested by the Provost and the Director of
- Bachelor's degree required in business administration,
marketing, communications, public relations or closely related
field; Master's degree preferred.
- Five-to-seven years of experience in the design and execution
of communications, strategic communications, digital communications
and/or public relations strategy/activity, preferably in a higher
- Excellent writing and editing skills that includes creating a
variety of written communications (newsletters, press releases,
internal communications, web content, etc.) that demonstrate a
command of language and grammar, clarity of thought, orderliness of
presentation, and the ability to write for a specific
- Creative and design experience to support visual
- Demonstrated creative abilities to design layout, draft, edit
copy, and schedule deliveries of internal
- Manage email lists and appropriately segment audiences for
various internal communications.
- Passion for creative storytelling and a comfort level operating
and driving initiatives within complex, matrix organizations,
focusing on employee engagement and content management.
- Strong project management skills and proven ability to manage
multiple projects at once in a fast-paced, collaborative,
- Strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to build
relationships and work with distributed stakeholders to drive
projects of moderate to high scope and complexity with broad
- Proficient in use of Adobe Creative Cloud & Canva or
similar design products.
- Open-minded and assertive when collaborating and working within
our team and other groups within Northeastern
Marketing and Communications
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Associate-Director----Internal-Communications_R109353