Dental Hygienist - Department of Periodontics, Penn Dental
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in
Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research,
and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks
among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World
Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide
opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education,
all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to
scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked
nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes
who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of
Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban
campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and
recreational activities. With its historical significance and
landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of
atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for
work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes
excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their
families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of
professional development opportunities, supportive work and family
benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources,
and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the
University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully
vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more
information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website
for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Dental Hygienist - Department of Periodontics, Penn Dental
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
A clinical Dental Hygienist with Penn Dental Medicine's Department
of Periodontics is responsible for providing quality patient care
and supervising dental care in a team-based environment. This
position will ensure quality patient and student experiences by
providing a welcoming, knowledgeable environment; exemplary oral
hygiene treatment; as well as a clean, sterile, and safe facility.
The individual will contribute to quality employee experiences by
supporting a collaborative, highly efficient work environment for
peers and colleagues.
Our ideal candidate will partner and collaborate with a team of
talented, engaged dental students and dentists in providing
exceptional patient experiences. Additionally, individuals selected
for this role will have experience and champion their position as a
leader of the clinical practice - serving as a role model to the
dental student as well as partner and bridge for dentists and
- Experience in sedation procedures and/or ACLS certification is
desired, but not required.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by setting up and
breaking down operatory, as well as nitrous units when needed
- Supports dentist with nitrous oxide unit set-up and monitoring
levels through the duration of patient appointment
- Ensure that operatories are well supplied with necessary
- Handle sharpening, sterilization, and maintenance of all
instruments and equipment
- Escort patients to and from operatories
- Help to acquaint patients with a preventive care-oriented
- Help to maintain and manage the patient recall system
- Perform or supervise thorough Periodontal debridement
(cleanings) on scheduled patients which include proper use of
ultrasonic cleaning devices, scaling instruments, polishing, and
- Conduct or supervise dental and periodontal assessments,
provide oral cancer screening, charting conditions of decay and
disease (via axiUm), capture digital images (via MiPacs), and
documenting interventions performed electronically by recording
vital signs, clinical notes, and procedures.
- Educate and motivate patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque
control instructions presenting and explaining treatment plans to
patients, demonstrating effective communication to bridge the gap
between a pending treatment plan and a completed treatment plan,
provides postoperative instructions and schedules and subsequent
- Explain treatment alternatives to patients
- Review and revise patient histories and record patient's vital
- Chart existing restorations on new patients and notate clinical
evidence of disease presence
- Record specific treatment performed on patient chart, as well
as other patient information as needed.
- Provides digital x-rays and chairside assistance when
available, as needed
- Help to reconfirm and appoint patients
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & POSITION EXPECTATIONS
- Maintain patient confidence and protect operations by keeping
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with
procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to
infection-control policies and protocols.
- Based on clinic assignment, may provide guidance and support to
dental students and residents.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as
needed to accomplish job results; monitors inventory; maintains
proper usage and operations of equipment.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending
educational workshops; reviewing professional publications;
establishing personal networks; participating in professional
- Flexibility in scheduling is required for all positions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing and supporting as
- An Associate's Degree or two-year college equivalent and 3
years to 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of
education and experience are required.
- CPR certification is required.
- Employment clearance through the State of PA to work on/with
children: as determined through Pennsylvania Criminal Background
Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Finger Printing
Database are required.
- Experience with Axium preferred.
- Ability to accommodate different scheduling requirements based
on the operational needs of the department.
Associate of Science and 3 to 5 years of experience or equivalent
combination of education and experience is required.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Dental Medicine
$28.48 - $42.91
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications,
experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the
requirements of the position, as well as internal and market
factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis
of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age,
disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made.
Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the
requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn
offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health,
dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your
family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending
accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care
expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition
benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get
tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also
eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to
help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and
Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a
pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment
options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a
substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the
year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal
affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with
family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth
Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family
members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the
costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community
or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you
won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to
underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always
provide proof of good health and are subject to
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to
supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing
demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide
variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health,
your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an
array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community,
you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as
cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the
University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our
arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at
Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest
music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn
Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member
of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the
excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these
activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and
entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great
deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and
cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission
and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy
substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars
from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie
tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer
creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance
between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use
of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable
loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or
currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for
closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible
employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal
adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up
to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Dental-School-Evans-Building/Dental-Hygienist---Department-of-Periodontics--Penn-Dental-Medicine_JR00063925-1