The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs is responsible for managing all faculty-related matters within the Harvard School of Dental Medicine (HSDM). As a senior leader, the incumbent will effectively balance the needs of the faculty and the School, with a thoughtful and ethical approach.
- Oversees personnel actions for HSDM faculty of all ranks, including but not limited to appointment, reappointment, promotion, tenure, sabbatical, and leaves of absence in accordance with the Faculty of Medicine’s policies, practices, and procedures.
- Oversees and actively participates in the recruitment of highly qualified faculty to join HSDM, generating attractive, competitive, and equitable job offers, within the parameters set forth by the Dean for the Harvard School of Dental Medicine and Harvard Medical School.
- Serves as a key advisor to department chairs in support of their work to guide and mentor faculty of all academic ranks and promotion pathways.
- Develops and maintains formalized programs for recognizing the teaching, research and scholarship, and service accomplishments of faculty; organizes the nomination process for internal and external awards and recognition.
- Collaborates with department chairs to identify faculty for training and leadership opportunities to support inclusive excellence.
- Implements and maintains effective processes and procedures for resolving faculty grievances that cannot be addressed at the department chair level; collaborates with HMS offices in addressing concerns at a systemic level.
- Develops and maintains formalized professional development programs for faculty to enhance their skills in teaching, curriculum development, leadership, and similar functions.
- Develops and maintains a new faculty orientation to welcome faculty to the HSDM community and to support them with resources and early career guidance, in collaboration with University and HMS offices.
- Creates, maintains, and evaluates the effectiveness of a faculty mentoring program for new full-time and part-time faculty; provides annual reports related to the progress and success of the program.
- Consistently monitors and evaluates faculty processes and procedures to find opportunities for efficiencies and improvements.
- Represents HSDM on committees, and at internal and external meetings, conferences, seminars, etc., as appropriate and/or as assigned.
- Contributes to a culture of inclusivity and respect.
- Collaborates with the Office for Faculty Affairs at Harvard Medical School to build on existing faculty resources for the specific benefit of HSDM faculty.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested, including teaching of predoctoral or postdoctoral trainees.
- Terminal degree (PhD, EdD, DDS/DMD, or equivalent).
- At least 7 years of experience as an academic administrator (department chair, assistant/associate dean, or similar) in a health science related field and relevant experience as a faculty member.
- Demonstrated record of substantial accomplishments in academic leadership and commitment to excellence in research, clinical care, operations, and/or faculty development.
- Advanced skills in all aspects of communication (verbal, written, and presentation), conflict management, leadership, and coaching.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative professional relationships, obtain buy-in, effectuate change, resolve grievances, remain objective, and make appropriate decisions.
- A dedication to the faculty, in both their work and their wellbeing; highly attuned and sensitive to the faculty experience and responsive to faculty needs.
- Ability to perform responsibilities with an ethical approach.
- Ability to work full-time and in-person, with the opportunity for occasional remote work.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to successfully pass a comprehensive background check at hire.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Dental degree (DDS/DMD)
- Experience at a dental school