The School of Fashion at Kent State University invites applications for a full-time tenure track position at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor in Design/Product Development. This is a 9-month appointment with the possibility of summer teaching. All positions are subject to the availability of funds.
As part of the College of the Arts, the School of Fashion program enrolls approximately 1600 Design (B.A./B.F.A.) and Merchandising (B.S.) majors with 36 full time faculty serving the undergraduate programs on the Kent campus as well as the interdisciplinary Masters in Fashion Industry Studies MFIS . Our programs emphasize sustainability, equitable futures, net-positive technology, and critical thinking to educate and inspire students to meet the needs of the future of the fashion industry.
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate fashion design course(s); Developing a productive research/creative scholarship program with potential for refereed/juried scholarship (peer-reviewed publications / conferences / exhibitions), and extramural grants; Conducting original research/creative practice, with a focus on areas such as functional apparel design, inclusive design and sustainable applications; Embedding and managing Diversity, Equity, Inclusivity & Antiracism initiatives pertaining to higher education and the global fashion industry in the curriculum; Advising graduate and undergraduate student research; mentoring student activities and organizations; Performing appropriate university, community, and-or professional service commensurate with the expectations of the position; Representing the School and University in professional organizations.
- Earned Terminal Degree in Fashion or Apparel and Textiles or related field, or equivalent professional experience. ABD candidates will be considered
- Ability to teach courses in at least two of the following areas:
- Digital Fashion Technology
- Pattern making and apparel construction in traditional and digital applications
- Illustration in traditional and digital applications
- Fashion/ Product Design Innovation
- Digital Knitting – flat bed
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- A Ph.D. in Fashion or Apparel and Textiles or related field Experience with/potential for successful grant funding Evidence of industry collaboration/experience Evidence of Creative Design Practice or Design Thinking/Strategy
- Ability to integrate diversity/multicultural perspective into teaching and research
- Ability to evolve in a highly interdisciplinary and inclusive research ecosystem
Required Qualifications for Associate Professor rank:
- Record of research and/or Creative design practice productivity commensurate with rank. Demonstrated ability to secure extramural grant funding. Demonstrated record in mentoring and advising graduate students. A record of leadership in service to the profession
Only applications submitted through the Kent State University website will be accepted and considered
To ensure full consideration, please submit the following by November 28th 2022:
1) Cover Letter: a letter of application that addresses the required and preferred qualifications
2) Curriculum Vitae;
3) Research Statement;
4) Contact information for three references.
Candidates selected for interviews will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting universities.
Inquiries may be addressed to:
Melissa McCoy, firstname.lastname@example.org , Administrative Clerk to the Search Committee
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For official job descriptions, visit www.kent.edu/hr.
Kent State University is a Smoke-free campus
Disclaimer: The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted to describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related experience/education beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the Appointing Authority. Kent State University reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements: Light work- exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Incumbent must be able to communicate with others. Incumbent may be required to travel from building to building frequently and off campus occasionally.