HCM is a public policy and advocacy consulting firm known nationally for its leadership in education policy development, analysis, and advocacy. HCM puts the student at the center of our work – particularly those whom the traditional systems of education have left behind – and focuses on eliminating inequities that continue to place far too many students at a disadvantage in pursuing and completing their education. Our team of professionals has an unparalleled set of relationships with state policymakers and deep reach in all 50 states, as well as relationships with national employers, polling organizations, and civil rights and student organizations that help build an understanding of how change is possible in different environments. We have a long record of success across states based on our ability to leverage our comprehensive network, forge creative alliances with non-traditional partners, and provide leadership and vision to our efforts on behalf of our clients.
The Managing Director serves as a vital member of the firm’s leadership team, supporting and managing a variety of work streams.
Responsibilities across all Managing Directors include, but are not limited to:
- Leads one of the firm’s strategic business development teams and engages collaboratively in business generation cultivation (both renewals and new business).
- Serves on the leadership team for the partners, providing strategic thinking, advice and counsel, idea creation, problem and solution formulation, and ways to strengthen the firm and client work both in the short-term and the long-term.
- Provides high-level strategic counsel for the firm (operations/client and both) and strongly contributes to the firm’s business development efforts and strategy meetings.
- Manages an entire portfolio content area of work, makes strategic connections across the job, and manages project scopes and budgets for profit, including consultant relationships and expenses.
- Provides content expertise to the field and is engaged in direct client servicing.
- Is a content expert in one or more areas and is viewed as such by clients and identifies, stays abreast, and contributes to the firm’s and the field’s knowledge base of current policies, legislation, practices, and trends.
- Sets expectations, distributes work fairly and evenly, supervises, and oversees directors' work quality and professional development. Ensures that employees’ voices are heard and valued. Handles and helps resolve issues or challenges as they arise.
- Represents the firm internally and externally.
- Is a “brand-builder” for the firm, with an eye for and ownership of quality assurance.
- Upholds the firm’s values and helps to ensure other employees uphold those values.
- Holds all team members accountable to the firm’s cultural norms and expectations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities by specialty area/designation in the title:
- Postsecondary Education Transformation - Oversees a portfolio that integrates work on behalf of foundations, state agencies and leaders, and non-profit organizations to help the field understand the resources, leadership, and practical strategies needed to create change in postsecondary education that will result in more equitable student access and success. An emphasis on cultivating, managing, and servicing clients focused on postsecondary finance, portability of learning, pathways, and leadership development.
- Organizational Strategy & Analysis - Oversees a portfolio of research, development, testing, and scaling policy concepts, models and strategies focused on the student learner and accompanying disruptions to the current system. An emphasis on cultivating, managing, and servicing clients in growth areas identified by the partners and clients focused on state policy analysis and strategy. Provides advice and counsel to the partners on the strategic financing of the firm and manages/tracks/reports on the key performance indicators at the firm level. Supports the Finance Director in firmwide cash flow updates, overseeing the client revenue spreadsheet of the budget
Attributes and Core Skills:
- Senior-level experience, 10 - 15 years, with a deep network across states and a recognizable reputation in their field, is strongly preferred.
- Exemplifies the firm’s cultural norms and expectations.
- A senior strategic thinker for the firm, both internally and externally, with the ability to manage an entire portfolio and make strategic connections across the work.
- Is a trusted voice within the firm able to provide high-level strategic counsel for the firm.
- Strong relationship-building skills with proven ability to bring a neutral and solutions-focused voice to broker and mediate issues across various stakeholders.
- Detail- and results-oriented, possessing solid project management skills, with an ability to hold project team accountable to deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to track, work and meet deadlines across multiple projects.
- Motivated and deadline-driven, self-starter with the ability to deliver high-quality work products with limited oversight.
- Comfortable working in a remote environment, as a part of a larger team, and individually.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, an enthusiastic attitude, and enjoys a team-based culture.
- Collaborative and collegial.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strategic, innovative creator and implementer of solutions with a “roll-up your sleeves” approach.
- Ability to prioritize and adjust to change across multiple clients.
- Experienced in supervising employees and managing teams.
Note: In exceptional circumstances, this could be a pathway to partner.
To Apply: You will need to upload the following:
- A cover letter and resume.
- Two writing samples - Originally drafted (no writer/consultant support) Decision memo (could be prepared for policymakers, institutions, funder, and/or client), and one piece of additional writing demonstrating case-making skills (e.g., op-Ed, proposal, etc.).
HCM Strategists is an equal opportunity employer affording all employees and job applicants fair and equal treatment. HCM complies with the letter and spirit of all applicable federal, state, and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination, including discrimination based on race, age, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran status, and disabilities.