Auxiliary Building Systems Technician
Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My
Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your
resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching
philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading
before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please
ensure you have all necessary documents available before
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type
into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in
Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have
no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is
current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information
for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate
documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your
application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the
Office of Human Resources via email at
by calling 864-294-2217.
Auxiliary Building Systems Technician
To perform and/or assist in the planning, installation,
maintenance, modification and replacement of auxiliary & low
voltage systems including (but not restricted to) Card Access,
BAS/HVAC Controls, Fire Alarm/Protection Systems, Security Cameras,
Security Alarm Systems, Lighting Controls, Clock systems, IT
Infrastructure (pathway and wiring). Collaborate with ITS regarding
network infrastructure (pathway and low voltage cabling)
requirements for new construction and renovation projects.
Auxiliary Low Voltage Systems (not Restricted
- Install, maintain, modify and replace auxiliary low voltage
systems (pull wire/cable, mount boxes/brackets, terminate
connections, troubleshoot, startup, purchase components)
- Assist and/or lead the bidding process for the procurement and
installation of ethernet cabling for new construction and
renovation projects. Work with project managers in Facilities and
ITS staff to ensure all design and installation requirements are
- Procure needed materials and/or contractors as needed to meet
deadlines for work you are assigned. Follow Furman purchase
- Assist Project Managers and other campus partners in the
planning of new construction and/or renovation projects involving
auxiliary low voltage systems on and off campus.
- Work with ITS and Project Managers on the procurement of
contracted services for the installation of infrastructure
associated with the Auxiliary Building Systems.
- Work with ITS and BAS to identify and troubleshoot problems
involving BAS/HVAC Network Communication issues.
- Identify and gather input on what devices/components in the
auxiliary systems need generator backup/UPS systems to ensure
critical systems are operable in the event of a power outage.
Develop a phased plan to implement needed improvements.
- Locate, read, interpret and understand equipment and system
manuals and instructions
- Review and read prints involving electrical, data/network/fiber
optic and low voltage systems
- Conducts plan and construction reviews for proposed projects.
Works with architects, engineers to ensure proposed plans meet user
- Use work order system to react and complete maintenance work
orders involving auxiliary low voltage systems on and off campus
(reactive and PM)
- Train/learn/use Work Day (Accounting and HR System) to
reconcile/pay invoices and complete required HR tasks
- Maintain work order history by recording work done to complete
- Maintain all equipment/hardware manuals and warranty documents
in work order system
- Create and maintain PM schedules for all low voltage systems in
work order system
- Maintain the Campus Atlas for underground data/network/fiber
optic cabling and wiring by providing timely information to the
Facility Information System Manager.
- Assist the Electrical Shop during emergent and planned power
- Support events involving auxiliary low voltage
- Work with ITS to locate and mark underground data/network/fiber
optic cabling and wiring per campus dig permits
- Work with current contractors / vendors to plan and complete
work and purchase components
- Develop new contractor / vendor relationships
- Operate all appropriate hand and power tools, equipment,
diagnostic tools and multi-meter type devices
- Work with Furman Shop personnel, campus partners and the public
- Perform additional tasks as assigned by your
- Follow all Furman policies and procedures as
- Knowledge of appropriate industry codes
- Communicate openly and clearly to supervisors, co-workers,
campus partners, contractors and vendors
- Maintains a high level of expertise in field through reading,
research, and professional development programs and
Relationships and Supported Groups (Not Restricted
- Card Access / Key Pad Access
- Fire Protection
- Security Cameras
- Security Systems
- Lighting Controls
- BAS Controls and Associated Networks
- IT Infrastructure (Pathways and Cabling)
- Project Managers
- GC's, Architects and Engineers
- FACS Information Manager
- Other Maintenance Shops and FACS Personnel
- Student Groups
- Event Organizers
- Campus Partners
- Director of Facilities Services
- Exposure to heat/cold
- Buildings - Academic, Administrative, Athletic, Residence
- Spaces - attics, mechanical rooms, basements,
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Auxiliary-Building-Systems-Technician_R001828
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing
the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to
create a community of people representing a multiplicity of
identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief,
sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background,
ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of
employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
- Technical/Academic Degree and/or Equivalent
- Electrical/Low Voltage Certification and/or Equivalent
- Data/Network Experience
- Controls Experience
- Have a working knowledge of campus high voltage
- Have a working knowledge of campus emergency power
- Have a working knowledge of grounding, surge and lightning