Established in 1887 as a school for the education of American Indians, The University of North Carolina at Pembroke serves a distinctly diverse student body and encourages inclusion and appreciation of the values of all people. Located in the heart of Pembroke, N.C., UNCP boasts an enrollment of 8,200 in 41 undergraduate and 18 graduate programs and offers a personalized learning environment where faculty and staff are dedicated to engaged scholarship, high academic standards, creative activity and public service. Spread over 281 acres, the campus offers a sense of community and belonging-–a place where faculty and staff feel supported, take pride in the university’s mission, and are devoted to excellence in teaching, learning and research, and to developing leaders who make a difference in their communities.
The Assistant Director for Student Engagement will be responsible for:
• developing and maintaining relationships with university stakeholders that enhance student success,
• planning, developing and implementing service programs, educational activities and events that embody volunteerism, public service and responsible citizenship,
• providing guidance for student engagement model,
• evaluating and assessing program effectiveness for enhancing student retention and persistence in service involvement,
• providing oversight for UNCP voter education and mobilization efforts;
• advising students on community service, civic responsibility, and civic engagement,
• coordinate and lead civic learning community, a first year service learning community, and
• maintenance of student co-curricular service transcripts via UNCP Serve
The Assistant Director has shared responsibility for:
• creating a robust campus environment by developing, managing, and coordinating experiences to engage students in special events
•supporting major programs and initiatives like Change Agent Academy, Hawk Camp, Days of Service, CARE Resource Center, Brave Foundations mentoring program, and more.
• strengthening a comprehensive community and civic engagement program that supports service-learning, citizenship development, community awareness, and civic education of engaged students by implementing the office’s citizenship curriculum,
• supporting the initiatives and experiences of the Student Service Leaders, and marketing and social media
•assessing and evaluating programs affiliated with office.
Professional development is encourage and funded. Work also includes other duties as assigned by the Director. Occasional late night and weekend work is required.
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements: Master’s degree in Student Development, Higher Education Administration or other related discipline or a bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience in a college or university setting.
Management Preferences: Candidate should have experience supervising students.
Special Instructions to Applicants: This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable) and credit history check (if applicable). In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. New employees are paid only by direct deposit to the financial institution of their choice. Candidates claiming Veterans Preference must attach a copy of their DD-214 as a part of the online application process.
UNC Pembroke is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibits discrimination against all individuals based on their age, race, color, genetic information, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and national origin. UNC Pembroke is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.