Associate Director, UM Housing
- University of Montana
- Montana, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 15, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Auxiliary Services, Student Affairs, Residence Life, Executive, Executive Directors
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com * .
UM Housing invites applications for an Associate Director of Facilities to oversee leadership for UM Housing facilities, including developing and maintaining the technical and professional expertise to assess, manage the work of, and supervise crafts and trades across a number of technical and skilled areas. Currently, three (3) carpenters, two (2) electricians, two (2) grounds, three (3) painters, and three (3) plumbers. In addition, this position, along with the Director of Fiscal and Facility Operations, is responsible for the leadership and management of the facilities team in housing. This employee will provide professional daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly assessments of facility conditions and inventory, including planning and implementing a 10 Year Capital Improvement Plan. This position will also collaborate with housing staff to ensure accurate and timely loading of inventory for Residence Halls, University Villages, and the Lewis and Clark Villages. This position will also provide coordination and oversight of Housing inventory.
This employee will manage all repair and maintenance, renovation projects, major equipment purchases, small and large equipment, materials, and supplies inventory. This position will collaborate with the Director of Fiscal and Facility Operations in the management of annual maintenance and repairs, equipment, and major capital projects and construction. This position will write and contribute to Housing policies and procedures, strategic planning, marketing planning, and facilities master planning.
More position duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as a member of the UM Housing Leadership Team.
- Working with the Executive Director, Directors, Associate Directors, and Assistant Directors to formulate departmental policy and practices.
- Serving on or coordinating department, Division of Campus Life and Student Affairs, and university committees, task forces, or special projects.
- Supervising carpenters, electricians, grounds, painters, and plumbers. This includes hiring, firing, and discipline for all summer temporary positions.
- Overseeing personnel management of the maintenance and trades staff, evaluating, establishing and improving repair and maintenance methods, techniques and procedures.
- Assessing, planning, organizing and directing the work of the carpenters, electricians, grounds, painters, and plumbers, and other facilities and maintenance staff, as assigned.
- Responsible for maintaining and managing inventory of carpentry, electrical, grounds, painter, plumbing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Overseeing, ordering, receiving, and distributing equipment, material, and supplies.
- Overseeing the creation and implementation of orientation and training programs for the carpenters, electricians, grounds, painters, and plumbers.
- Ensuring all maintenance and repair standards are met in a safe and efficient manner.
- Developing comprehensive training programs and tracking programs for all maintenance and repair annually.
- Developing tracking systems in maintenance and repair operations to determine on-going capital expenditures and inventories.
- Identifying and correcting problems.
- Attending trainings to improve upon skills and stay current with the trades.
- Providing direct customer service to members of the campus and to the community at large.
- Building and maintaining a work atmosphere of trust and respect by establishing open communication among team members.
- Recognizing the value of individual differences at all levels of the organization.
- Taking steps to prevent destructive conflict and handling conflict in an appropriate manner.
- Listening and responding appropriately to needs.
- Responsible for managing capital budgets for the area of responsibility.
- Responsible for collection and disposing of all furniture, equipment, supplies and bulbs following state regulations and recycling when possible.
- Acting decisively, diplomatically, and exercising independent judgment and discretion to advance and protect departmental and university relations in resolving situations that are unique or controversial.
- Collaborating with colleagues in other areas of the department to assist in or oversee training student and full-time staff in facility related processes and procedures as appropriate.
- In collaboration with relevant administrative or residential area staff, overseeing the communication of upcoming facilities projects, ongoing facilities issues, and work order status and completion to relevant UM Housing employees, residents, and university staff.
- Evaluating and recommending improvements for policies, procedures, education opportunities, and issues of campus safety.
- Participating and being a member of the campus wide committees as an UM Housing representative.
- Working with and helping to assist the Assistant Director of Facilities and Custodial Operations with work, training, projects, ordering supplies & capital equipment.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, MUS Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is a range from $70,000 to $77,000 per year commensurate with qualifications.
- Four- year (4) degree in a facilities or housing program and necessary abilities and experiences to ensure the job gets completed or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five (5) years of related and transferrable Housing/Facility experience and three (3) of those years in a high-volume, progressive housing operation.
- Leadership, management, and training experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of supervisory practices and procedures.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain a safe work environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Knowledge, skill and ability required to perform duties and responsibilities of their direct reports.
- Ability to create and maintain a work atmosphere of trust and respect with all team members.
- Ability to work with a variety of diverse groups of individuals effectively.
- Ability to read instructions, safety information, policies and procedures and apply critical thinking skills
- Ability to make effective decisions and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated skill in customer service orientation.
- Interpersonal, oral and listening communication.
- Organizational, time-management and delegation skills.
- Ability to write instructions, procedures, schedules, evaluations and the like
- This position may have the following physical demands which requires mobility
- Static trunk forward bending and twisting from a standing, crouching or kneeling position while using tools.
- Reaching with your arms in all directions, including overhead with 5lbs in both hands, sustained.
- Working overhead (sustained) from various positions (standing, squatting and kneeling). Occasional climbing of stairs, carrying cleaning supplies and equipment weighing up to 40lbs.
- Balancing when climbing and working on a ladder.
- Use of various hand grip circumferences and firm hand grip positions while manipulating various tools and equipment (maximum 50lbs).
- Comprehensive knowledge of building maintenance and repair and facility budget management.
- Purchasing and inventory practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of, and ability to understand Collective Bargaining Agreements.
Um Housing provides safe, clean, healthy, and affordable living and learning facilities that foster an inclusive community living environment for students, staff, faculty, and guests. Services provided in these facilities support and nurture educational experiences and personal development at the University of Montana.
The University of Montana is flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2022 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. To receive full consideration, candidates are required to submit all of the following materials. Application will remain open until position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials** via the UM Jobs portal and by clicking "New Resume/CV" button. Please do not apply through Indeed.com*.
*Please note, only five (5) attachments allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
* Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
** Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert