Crane & Hoist Inspector
# of Openings:
Facilities Management and Physical Plant
The Overhead Crane & Hoist Inspector
Technician will be responsible for the maintenance, servicing,
repairing, inspecting and functional testing of overhead cranes and
hoisting equipment. The technician will also support the operations
shop in the inspection, and repair of overhead, pneumatic, and
electrically controlled doors, gates, and barriers, as well as all
associated instrumentation and controls. The technician will
coordinate with other groups within the Facilities Department and
throughout the Laboratory to ensure long-term, safe and efficient
operation of utility systems.
Are you interested in joining the world’s
brightest talent in solving some of the world’s grandest scientific
challenges of the 21st century? Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory
(PPPL) is doing just that! Whether it be through science,
engineering, technology or professional services, every team member
has an opportunity to make their mark on our world. PPPL aims to
attract and support people with a rich variety of backgrounds,
interests, experiences, and cultural viewpoints. We are committed
to equity, diversity, and inclusion and believe that each member of
our team contributes to our scientific mission in their own unique
way. Come join us!
The Overhead Crane & Hoist Inspector
Technician will be responsible for the installation, preventative
maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of overhead cranes and
hoists throughout the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory as well
as oversight of site-wide elevator contracts.
- Inspect, maintain, and troubleshoot lab wide electromechanical
systems to include: Cranes, hoists, overhead doors, and associated
- Oversight of contractors to ensure the proper compliance with
lab wide policies and project fulfillment.
- Supports operations shops in the maintenance, service, and
troubleshooting of lab wide utility systems to include Compressed
air systems, pumps, pneumatically sealed doors and associated
- Manages the supervision and execution of elevator contracts for
- Maintains proper paperwork of work orders completed in
computerized maintenance management system. Follows all PPPL
procedures and policies.
Education and Experience:
- Perform other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
High School Education or GED equivalent
with some formal post High School vocational education.
Completion of a Journeyman level training
program in industrial maintenance, electrical, or similar program
5 plus years’ experience in the inspection,
service, maintenance and troubleshooting of overhead cranes,
hoists, and lifting equipment.
Experience in service maintenance and
troubleshooting several of the following brands: Whiting, Aceco
(American Crane and Equipment Co.), Yale, Wright, P&H,
Harrington, CM, Coffing and Spanco lifting equipment.
A strategic goal of PPPL is diversifying
the community of scientists and engineers, ensuring equitable
access, and making the STEM fields more accessible and inclusive.
With this in mind, we will take into consideration equivalent work
and personal experiences as well as efforts in education, outreach
or other related service activities.
- Experience with troubleshooting variable frequency drive and
- Ability to independently inspect, service and maintain overhead
cranes, hoists, and other lifting equipment.
- Elevator maintenance and service experience is a plus.
- Capable of writing statements of work for repair/replacement
work requiring outside support.
- Ability to train technicians in the maintenance of hoists and
- Experience with CMMS programs (Maximo) is a plus.
- Be able to work in confined spaces and at heights.
- Ability to operate various mobile equipment such as forklifts,
scissor lifts, man lifts, etc.
- General knowledge of the National Electric Code, National
Plumbing Code, Life Safety Code, OSHA and standard industry
practices. Conform to industry standards concerning safety,
lock-out/tag-out, inspections, and operations when dealing with
electrical systems. Maintain a high consciousness of safety for all
personnel and areas involved.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in confined spaces, at heights, and exposure to
plant hazards (steam/electrical/mechanical/radiological).
- Individual will be required to work in confined spaces and at
heights. There may be exposure to plant hazards
Princeton University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE
employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign
government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are
required to disclose any participation in a foreign government
talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from
such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.