- Northern Arizona University
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 11, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Vocational & Technical Fields
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Location: Facility Srv: Electrical Shop
Job ID: 606788
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
Northern Arizona University's Electrican Shop is hiring one (1) Electrician, Intermediate to join their team. Electrician, Intermediates help install, repair, and maintain university electrical systems in NAU campus structures to ensure they are operating effectively. This position is also responsibile for inspecting university electrical equipment, diagnosing problems, and making necessary adjustments as well as monitoring and maintaining records of university electrical needs. Electricians also compile maintenance reports with information related to university electrical systems to be used for recommendations.
NAU aims to create, support, and nurture a university environment exhibiting true diversity and inclusion—a university where individuals whose unique experiences of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual and gender identities, disability, and all perspectives are valued and woven into the fabric of the institution. We are a Hispanic Serving Institute (HSI) committed to success, support and retention of all students, staff and faculty.
Job Functions and Duties
Service Work Troubleshooting - 35%
- Breaker resets/breaker replacements
- Ballast/lamp replacement
- Receptacle replacements
- Motor control troubleshooting
- Motor replacements
- Panel replacements
- Inspects equipment and diagnoses performance/malfunction
Upgrades to electrical systems - 30%
- Adding/replacing panels
- Adding conduits, boxes, wiring/devices
- Upgrading/adding lighting fixtures to maintain required footcandle
Street light repair - 20%
- Christy boxes
- Led upfitting (dark sky compliant)
- Identifying, demarking underground electrical infrastructure
- Coordinates with supervisor and requestors to ensure timeliness of demarking
Other - 5%
- Other duties as assigned
- Completion of a four year federally approved technical training program in electrical repair and maintenance.
- 2-4 years of relevant experience OR
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Demonstrate excellent customer-service.
- Possess and demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships throughout the NAU community.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Awareness and demonstrated commitment to NAU's EEO/Affirmative Action and Safe Working and Learning Environment goals.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task.
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment, products, techniques, and safety standards.
- Knowledge of scheduling techniques and setting priorities.
- Leadership skills, including employee motivation, trustworthiness, creativity, and integrity.
- Understanding of NAU's policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of equipment and materials usage and maintenance, supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Effective communication skills, including the ability to craft emails and other written documents.
- Exercises good judgment and professionalism in a fast-paced setting.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range is $41,421 to $51,776. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
December 12, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606788&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert