Manager, Information Security Vendor Risk Management
Rowan University seeks to appoint a Manager of
Information Security Vendor Risk Management (VRM) to assist the
Manager of Information Security Risk in the division of Information
Resources & Technology (IRT). IRT is responsible for the
University’s information technology and applications, information
security, data integrity, systems-related compliance, and
reporting. Along with the University, IRT has grown extensively in
recent years, and we are continuing to mature our Information
Security Office’s VRM Program for the University across all
This individual will assist with the University’s VRM Program and
will report to the Manager of Information Security Risk who
oversees the growth and development of our VRM program for
assessing the organizational risk and security maturity of our
Third-Party Vendors across our supply chain. The VRM Manager will
aid with developing processes to ensure the timely & thorough
review of our critical supplier chain partners in accordance with
industry-standard approaches (NIST, Share Assessments SIG, ISO
28001), but adapted to our unique business needs. The work needs to
support organizational security, compliance, and quality goals and
objectives for the business. It will be integrated into the legal
contracting and financial procurement processes, as a critical step
to understand and mitigate risks introduced by vendors in the
This position is specifically responsible for representing the
Information Security Office as a trusted Subject Matter Expert
(SME) within the University’s IT Acquisition Process (ITAP) and
understanding and assessing security, confidentiality/privacy, and
operational risks related to solutions of Third-Party
Under the guidance of the Manager of Information Security
● Assist with reviewing vendor solutions and service security
evaluations for alignment with security best practices &
● Summarize and follow up on documentation on vendors, their
security posture, and any open concerns.
● Maintain an inventory of Third-Party Vendors who possess and/or
interact with Rowan University data, including key risk information
about the relationship, data attributes involved, and regulatory
● Support completion of Rowan University’s information security
review process for all new Third-Party Vendors, and annual reviews
for all other relationships that receive and/or interact with
● Monitor open Vendor security issues and remediation actions
associated with security control gaps to ensure timely
● Conduct information security assessments of Third-Party Vendors
to determine their ability to protect confidential data.
● Enhance risk/vulnerability assessment programs and questionnaires
to aid in the identification and mitigation of security
● Identify and document information security vulnerabilities and
risks in the information technology environment.
● Evaluate identified vulnerabilities and risks, working with
business owners, risk management, and vendor representatives.
● Identify tasks necessary to remediate identified vendor risks and
vulnerabilities; negotiate dates for remediation to be
● Track progress on remediation of identified risks and
vulnerabilities and provide appropriate reporting to
● Monitor appropriate industry sources to maintain awareness of new
security tools and techniques and research those tools and
techniques that have the potential to improve the organization's
ability to protect its information and infrastructure.
● Assist in the development of appropriate information security
policies, standards, procedures, checklists, and guidelines using
generally recognized security concepts tailored to meet the
requirements of the organization.
● Maintain expertise in identifying security risks in the hardware,
software, and systems used by the organization.
● Participate in appropriate opportunities for continuing
education, seminars, participation in field-related professional
organizations, and so on to remain current on developments in the
information security profession.
● Ensure that identified risks are managed in accordance with the
Vendor Risk Management program.
● Continuously work to improve the overall Vendor Risk Management
● Promote cyber security awareness of vendor & supply chain
● Other information security duties as assigned.
● High Attention to Detail
● Project Management
● Self-led Learner
● Customer First Mentality
● Strong Adaptability
● Process Documentation Management
● Process Mapping Development
● Presentation Skills
● General Risk Management Foundation
● General Information Security Foundation
● Communication with Executives
● Team Mentorship
● Can Interpret Regulations and Compliance Requirements
● Thoughtful Leadership
● General Security Control Framework Foundation
● Cross-functional Team Leadership
● Proficient in MS Excel, and Google Sheets with the ability to
implement formulas to achieve analytics.
● Excellent project management skills, with the ability to work
within deadlines, juggle multiple priorities, design project plans,
and provide project updates.
● Ability to work independently with little direction and/or
● Superior communication skills with the ability to ask questions,
escalate roadblocks early, and interact effectively at multiple
levels in the organization.
● Keen attention to detail with the ability to correct on the fly
and work independently.
● Analytical aptitude with an emphasis on investigative, methodical
critical questioning and logical thinking; a data-driven decision
● General knowledge or the ability to learn mitigation
methodologies and regulatory
requirements pertaining to information security, privacy and/or
● High-level interpersonal skills.
● General working knowledge of information security concepts and
● Experience with Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) tools such
as OneTrust, Process Unity, ThirdPartyTrust, Prevalent, or related
technologies used in the space is an asset.
● Experience with other procurement tools, such as Emptoris and
Coupa, or related technologies used in the space is an asset.
● Experience with Vendor/Third Party Risk Management tool process
design and implementation is an asset.
● Understanding of business intelligence concepts and tools, data
governance, and quality assurance needs for risk management and
procurement/supply chain lifecycles.
● Experience with supplier management, risk management, regulatory
compliance or outsourcing would be an asset.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE
● Bachelor's degree in Information Security, Information
Protection, Computer Information Systems, Computer Science,
Information Systems Management, Business Administration, or
● Minimum three years of information security experience
● Minimum three years of experience with information technology
audits and assessments with a focus on Third-Party Vendor risk
● Minimum three years of experience with information security
technology programs, audits, assessments, risk, or remediation
● Familiarity with privacy laws, data protection/security
regulations, and frameworks, such as BITS, COBIT, and
● Experience with the OneTrust Vendor Management platform.
● Consulting skills (client service orientation, conflict
resolution, analysis/synthesis of information, negotiation, project
● Negotiation skills needed to obtain commitments to remediate
risks and vulnerabilities from leadership of University and
● Excellent communication, listening and facilitation skills.
● Excellent time management and related organizational skills,
including appropriate sense of urgency, a proactive approach, and a
suitable ability to anticipate and manage project lifecycle events,
issues, and obstacles.
● Able to represent the Information Security Office Vendor Risk
Management Team in information technology assessments and/or audits
of IT systems, processes, and general IT controls.
●Interpret results, develop, and communicate recommendations to
● Able to identify and document specific security issues, propose
resolution options, and interpret matters from the perspective of
● Current Industry certification (e.g. Security+, SSCP, CISA,
CISSP, CISM, CRISC, etc.)
● Familiarity with privacy laws, data protection/security
regulations, and frameworks, such as BITS, SOC 2, COBIT, ISO27001
and ISO 27002
Candidates with the following job titles or experience in the
following job roles are encouraged to apply:
● Third Party Risk Management (TPRM) Analyst or Manager
● Vendor Risk Management (VRM) Analyst or Manager
● Security Analyst or Manager
● Information Security Analyst or Manager
● Cyber Analyst or Manager
● Risk and Compliance Analyst - Vendor Risk
● Vendor Management Analyst or Manager
NOTE: Rowan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and
values diverse people and abilities. Reasonable accommodations will
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions of this position. Candidates must be legally
authorized to work in the US, and the university will not sponsor
an applicant for a work visa for this position.
Advertised: Nov 10 2022 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Jan 12 2023 11:55 PM Eastern Standard