The Partnerships and Foundations Proposal Writer will collaborate
with members of LINK, Advancement, Colleges, and external partners
to support proposal writing from the identification of
opportunities through to development and submission. This position
is key to the ambitious plans Virginia Tech is making to be a
leading 21st century land grant university that delivers innovative
solutions to the most pressing global challenges of our time.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Engagement and Partnerships,
this individual will work with engagement and business development
directors to develop high-quality partner-facing engagement
materials, common set of proposal materials and capabilities
documents, and impact reports to support the stewardship of
strategic relationships. All efforts will be designed to support
strategic growth and partnerships at a pivotal time in the history
of Virginia Tech.
This position requires strong writing and oral communication
skills, critical thinking and analytic skills, scientific knowledge
if possible, and a high degree of competence and creativity. Must
be able to work well managing multiple priorities and deadlines,
strong organization skills and the ability to perform independently
and as a team member.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work with the corporate development team to understand portfolio
objectives, key messages, and target audiences in order to inform
• Work closely with the leadership team and faculty stakeholders to
bring their vision to life, with copy that's engaging and
• Interview subject matter experts with curiosity and focus to
develop priority marketing assets.
• Research, prepare, submit, and manage a consistent, year-round
pipeline of LOIs, proposals, presentations, briefings, and
progress/impact reports to local, state, federal, individual,
corporate, and foundation funding sources.
• Authors and manages updates of a wide range of proposal
materials, including those in response to RFPs and grant-making
institutions, industry partner discussions, thematic and strategic
initiatives and for influential stakeholders.
• Develops content around technical domains, partnership outcomes,
engagement topics, thematic efforts (including inclusion and
diversity); proposals and reports may be in longform narrative and
visual documents and digital platforms.
• Collaborates with other LINK staff and relevant grant
stakeholders to prepare grant proposals, including analyzing grant
RFPs, determining concept, gathering and formatting information,
writing drafts, and obtaining appropriate approvals.
• Supports the grant concept development by identifying and
clarifying opportunities and needs, studying requests for proposal
(RFPs) and attending strategy meetings.
• Meets proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target
dates for information gathering, writing, review, approval, and
• Enters and monitors tracking data.
• Coordinates requirements with contributors; provides proposal
status updates at review meetings.
• Gathers proposal information by identifying sources, coordinating
submissions and collections, and identifying and communicating
risks associated with proposals.
• Develops and submits proposals by assembling information
including project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables,
implementation, methods, timetable, biographies, budget, standards
of performance, and evaluation.
• Writes, revises, and edits drafts including executive summaries,
conclusions, and organization credentials.
• Maintains quality results by using templates; following
proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and
tone; maintaining proposal support databases.
• Obtains approvals by reviewing proposals with key providers and
• Improves proposal-writing results by evaluating and re-designing
processes, approaches, coordination, and boilerplates as
• Accomplishes organizational goals by accepting ownership for
accomplishing new and different requests and exploring
opportunities to add value to job accomplishments and grants
Job note: Availability to regularly work in person on Blacksburg’s
main campus, and to travel if necessary to the university’s other
Virginia campuses under special circumstances.
• Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, Science,
Engineering, English, or related field
• Experience in grant and technical writing, prospect research,
general fundraising or comparable and transferable skills acquired
in a professional setting
• Dynamic communication skills
• Ability to analyze, understand and execute complex
• Graduate degree in a related field to the position.
• Experience with federal, corporate, or foundations grant writing
within the higher education sector or nonprofit preferred.
• Experience with fundraising writing for higher education.
• Demonstrated record of producing successful fundraising
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim
(That I May Serve),
Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a
hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be
leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution
that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the
world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community
to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more
than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000
undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight
, a school of
, a veterinary
college, Graduate School
, and Honors College
. The university
has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus
in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in
Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices
. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech
conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise
discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about,
discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of
other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an
accommodation, please contact Advancement HR at email@example.com
during regular business
hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
November 9, 2022