Associate Director, Global Operations
Arizona State University
Req ID# 85889BR
Department: Global Operations
The Global Operations Office within ASU’s Knowledge Enterprise is seeking an Associate Director to work closely and collaboratively with project team members and stakeholders to plan, direct, organize and execute project requirements as they relate to business and research overseas. Global Operations provides crucial support to ASU’s rapidly growing global enterprise. We reduce the risks and burdens of conducting international business by developing ASU’s infrastructure and delivering global project solutions. We are the central resource for foreign legal, tax, employment, financial, procurement, and health and safety issues on sponsored projects.
Salary Range: $50,336 - $91,520 per year; DOE
Close Date: 28-November-2022
Variety of aspects pertaining to global operations, specifically the execution of international components of sponsored projects. The types of activities the Associate Director will assist with include, but are not limited to, international recruitment and hiring, foreign banking and taxes, abroad office establishment and management, and traveler health and safety.
The Associate Director:
- Works with a diverse project team to define tasks and work requirements including researchers and administration.
- Works closely and collaboratively with key stakeholders to define project scope, strategy, budget, schedule, and outcomes; identifies critical resource expertise and targets appropriate internal and/or external sources to ensure optimal outcome.
- Establishes and continually monitors/manages project expectations with customer and the team; identifies issues for resolution to ensure optimal team effectiveness.
- Triages all inquiries and logs them into the Project Management Information System.
- Monitors task status to identify, interpret and anticipate concerns and potential issues to address them proactively.
- Responds to customer/team inquiries regarding status and tracks formal communication to ensure timely dissemination to all interested parties.
- Manages project team members both internal and contracted to ensure optimal outcomes; builds, develops, and maintains relationships vital to project success including those with third-parties and vendors. This includes maintaining stakeholder registry and executing/maintaining contracts and work orders.
- Conducts research about foreign countries as needed and summarizes findings; research topics may include immigration, labor and tax laws as well as health, safety, and security concerns.
- Heavy involvement with development and maintenance of policies, procedures, guidance documents, website content, a Knowledge Management System and other resources for the ASU community. Evaluates existing resources and identifies gaps and areas for improvement. Works with manager to develop strategy for the office and grow the unit.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND seven (7) years of related administrative experience, which includes four (4) years of supervisory experience; OR, Eleven (11) years of related administrative experience, which includes four (4) years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic project management principles, methods and techniques, including waterfall and agile.
- Experience in managing USAID or other sponsored projects, including operations in developing nations.
- Experience in coordinating and tracking project activities and tasks.
- Familiarity in research administration and not-for-profit foundations, including funding practices associated with each.
- Experience using project-specific technology, including MS Project, Workfront/AtTask, and MS SharePoint.
- Experience performing risk assessment and risk management.
- Experience with procurement processes, including vendor selection, contract negotiation and execution, and invoicing/payments.
- Climate-controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity associated with daily use of desktop computer;
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential duties.
- Expected to be responsive to customers, engaged in work production, resourceful, flexible, and respectful of others.
For the eighth year in a row, ASU has been named the most innovative school in the nation, recognizing the university's culture of groundbreaking research and partnerships, as well as its commitment to helping students thrive in college and beyond. U.S. News and World Report has named ASU as the most innovative university all eight years the category has existed.
ASU Knowledge Enterprise advances research, innovation, strategic partnerships, entrepreneurship, and international development. Our success arises from solutions-focused, interdisciplinary research; an entrepreneurial approach that is embedded in every school and department; and a commitment to transform society in a positive way. To learn more about how Knowledge Enterprise is a place for your career to grow, visit https://research.asu.edu/about-us/careers.
At Global Operations, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. We value your unique background and perspective, and you may be just the right candidate for this position or other roles on our team.
Working at ASU has additional perks and OUTSTANDING benefits, which include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities; and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To view the full position description and to apply online, please visit the following: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494#jobDetails=4660460_5494