Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of
Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position.
A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional
communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship,
respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is
designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in
creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding
of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact
on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence
in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace &
Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer
and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester.
LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution
by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in
the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce
Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community
college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston,
has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse
group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of
students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling
individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique
programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental
Location address is 20000 Kingwood Drive, Kingwood, TX 77339.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Under the supervision of the Dental Hygiene Program Director and
working directly with the dental hygiene clinic coordinator, the
clinical supervising dentist is responsible for delivering a
quality educational experience for dental hygiene students. The
major component of teaching is devoted to supervising dental
hygiene comprehensive care at the first- and second-year clinical
levels and assumes occasional didactic teaching responsibilities as
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ensure that instruction meets or exceeds standards established
by the ADA Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- Remain in clinic for the duration of all clinical sessions.
Employ a variety of teaching methods in order to meet the varied
learning styles of students. Supervise all care/treatment plans
developed by students and approved by clinic faculty as outlined in
the Texas State Dental Practice Act.
- Administer and grade clinical skills in accordance with course
objectives identified in the course syllabus. Monitor student
performance on a periodic basis and provide feedback to
- Follows the dental hygiene policies and procedures and works in
partnership with faculty and program director to update as
- Provide consultation on medical histories of new and recall
clients. Provide consultation and follow-up on clinical
- Authorize sealant placement and any other expanded functions
provided by dental hygienist according to state practice act.
- Administration of local anesthesia.
- Perform intraoral screenings, recognizes oral pathologies and
determines need for treatment referrals. Prescribe sub-gingival
medicaments and other prescription products when indicated.
- Work in partnership with dental hygiene faculty to authorize
radiographs to meet patient's needs. Diagnose dental decay from
- Share information about students' needs, attendance and
achievements with the director and other faculty members.
- Assume responsibility for own continuing education by
participation in workshops, seminars, regional and/or national
meetings. Attend regularly scheduled department meetings.
Participate in trainings, orientations and college-required
- Assist in dental hygiene program accreditation process.
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as
- Knowledge and skill in a variety of computer usage and software
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate
effectively with a diverse professional, community, and student
- Possess good organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrate sensitivity to students with diverse academic,
socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with
- Ability to keep skills and procedural knowledge updated with
current technological advances
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Picking, pinching, typing, or otherwise working, primarily with
fingers rather than with the whole hand, and also working with the
whole hand in order to handle a variety of medical equipment
- Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or
negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry,
push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body
- Close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing
and analyzing data and figures; viewing medical equipment/monitors;
viewing a computer terminal;
- Ability to distinguish colors in order to read medical
- Hours will vary depending on class times. Instructors are
required to meet with classes at all scheduled times and be
available to students outside of class instruction as needed
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a
Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to
carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal
exposure to safety hazards
- DDS or DMD degree required
- Current Texas license to practice professional dentistry
required OR current Texas Dental Faculty license
- Must have a minimum of three years in clinical practice
- Knowledgeable of current technologies in clinic and appropriate
to the area of instruction
- Possess knowledge of, and demonstrates proficiency in, current
concepts in dental hygiene, dental hygiene education, clinical
instruction, general dentistry, and clinical practice
- Willingness to utilize distance learning strategies and latest
- College level teaching experience preferred
Hourly Pay Rate is $59.24
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part
of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work
environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver,
participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of
the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on
‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title
once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached
your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty,
Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the
following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching
Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email,
mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the
academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on
your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication
regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by
phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which
Lone Star College provides the federal government with information
from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is
authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are
subject to a criminal background check.