Assistant Director for Operations & Aquatics
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Nov 9, 2022
VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY
DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
RECREATION AND WELL-BEING
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR FOR OPERATIONS & AQUATICS
The Assistant Director for Operations & Aquatics is responsible for the management and administration of operations at
all RecWell facilities in a way that aligns with the mission of RecWell to advance student success by empowering the
VCU community to prioritize well-being, connect with others, and learn through play. This position will also oversee
rentals and reservations at all RecWell facilities. The responsibilities encompass a wide variety of administrative and
supervisory duties in the areas of financial, personnel, and program management; policy development; risk management; assessment; and student staff development. This position reports to the Associate Director for Facilities & Operations.
Personnel Management (30%)
● Provide leadership to the operations team, including direct supervision for the Facility Operations & Events
Coordinator and Aquatics & Safety Coordinator, as well as indirect supervision for Graduate Administrators and
● Effectively communicate departmental, Division, and University mission, vision, values, and goals to staff and
work with teams to align programmatic initiatives with strategic priorities.
● Effectively prepare staff to identify risks and make critically sound decisions that uphold the department’s shared
● Support the training and development of direct reports by establishing individual goals and development
opportunities, routinely providing feedback on performance and identifying specific areas for continued growth.
● Ensure compliance with all departmental and University guidelines and policies.
● Create a culture of customer service for the facility operations and aquatics staff.
● Ensure the creation, revision, and implementation of RecWell guidelines and procedures in adherence with
established University and departmental guidelines.
● Submit marketing requests to inform members of Recreation & Well-Being policies and procedures.
● Assist in resolving participant conduct violations according to department guidelines.
● Manage hours of operation and access control for all RecWell facilities.
● Conduct regular safety inspections of activities, facilities, and equipment and report work order needs to the
Reservations & Events (20%)
● Oversee facility reservations and rentals, including, but not limited to events for Recreation & Well-Being,
registered student organizations, university departments, external organizations, and summer camps and
● Coordinate event logistics, including equipment, staffing, and compliance with Recreation & Well-Being and
University guidelines and procedures.
● Ensure all events are in compliance with the Safety and Protection of Minors Policy.
● Complete appropriate paperwork, including usage agreements, invoices, proof of insurance, and event reports.
● Provide timely communication to RecWell staff to coordinate event logistics and to ensure appropriate notices
have been communicated to student staff and patrons.
● Create and revise the Reservations & Rentals Operating Manual and associated event paperwork annually.
● Serve as the liaison with VCU Athletics for the scheduling and management of the Cary Street Field, the
Thalhimer Tennis Center, and the Marshall Street Studio at the Basketball Development Center.
Program Management (10%)
● Lead the ongoing planning, implementation, and evaluation of inclusive, accessible, and welcoming programs and
open recreation opportunities that minimize risk while focusing on fun and positive experiences for participants.
● Participate in the development of department and program area specific strategic plans, goals, and measurable
outcomes to guide and evaluate all activities.
● Foster programmatic growth by encouraging collaborative efforts, supporting student learning, and identifying
emerging trends in programmatic areas.
● Work with team members to assess and report strategic outcomes.
● Facilitate collaboration with key stakeholders to develop a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to
programs that addresses key recreation and well-being issues, such as belonging and connectedness that provide
multiple points of entry for participation by prioritizing introductory programs and services for new students.
● Work with key stakeholders to integrate programs into academic and other learning environments, potentially
instructing courses in partnership with academic departments.
● Regularly assist Aquatics & Safety Coordinator with teaching aquatics and safety instructor level courses, as
● Work through the established channels to engage in dynamic and purposeful marketing and promotion of
programs through the collaborative development of digital, print, social, and other media.
● Work with others to develop innovative models that remove barriers to student engagement while ensuring the
long-term sustainability of programs.
● Provide guidance in the development and implementation of an effective risk management plan for all areas of
oversight, ensuring compliance with department and university guidelines and appropriate follow-up on critical
● Serve as a member of the department’s leadership team, contributing to long-range strategic planning, facility
planning, budget development, and student learning.
● Collaborate with campus partners within the Division of Student Affairs and across the university to develop and
implement programs and events that contribute to student success.
● Provide responsible and ethical management of resources within designated program area(s), including
developing, managing, and reconciling program budgets and setting revenue projections for all programming
● Investigate new and emerging trends and explore opportunities for growth within recreation and well-being
● Maintain professional skill sets and certifications as appropriate for job responsibilities and as a professional.
● Actively contribute to shared knowledge in this growing field by participating in professional organizations.
● Participate in Division and University-wide events and committees as needed.
● Manage, and serve on, the onsite/oncall system, providing regular evening and weekend supervisory support.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Master’s Degree in Recreation, Higher Education Administration, or related field.
● Minimum of three (3) years of related work experience, preferably in a higher education setting.
● Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or
commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
● Demonstrated administrative skills and experience in: planning, implementing, and evaluating programs; budget
development and fiscal/statistical management; long-range planning; project management; organizational strategic
planning; and risk management.
● Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
● Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
● Experience in a university/college setting.
● Experience supervising full-time staff with demonstrated experience in all aspects of personnel management and
● American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer & First Aid Instructor certification, or ability to
● American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Trainer, or ability to obtain.
● American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainer, or ability to obtain.
● Accountability/Integrity - Accountable for measurable high-quality, timely and cost-effective results and displays
a strong commitment to organizational success and delivering on individual responsibilities as a university citizen.
● Achievement/Development - Commitment to the pursuit of excellence, high achievement and ongoing
professional development by proactively seeking opportunities to develop new capabilities, skills, and knowledge.
● Collaboration - Ability to work collaboratively within and across departments to achieve shared goals.
● Diversity - Demonstrates an open-minded approach to understanding people from all backgrounds, identities,
abilities, perspectives and experiences, and effectively works with and treats all people fairly and consistently,
with dignity and respect.
● Innovation - Applies creative problem-solving skills to work to develop solutions to problems and demonstrates
the value in taking responsible risks and learning from mistakes.
● Service Excellence - Demonstrates a commitment to the highest quality service to internal and external
communities and ensures that actions are aligned with University objectives, practices and core values.
● Leading Others - Demonstrates the ability to lead people toward meeting/exceeding the department’s and
University’s vision, mission, and goals, while providing an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of
others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
● Position involves working some evening and weekend hours
● Position is located in a non-smoking work area
POSITION: This position is a full-time twelve-month University and Academic Professional position
SALARY: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Position includes full-time University and
Academic Professional benefits package.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, minorities and
persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $58,000-$64,000
Department: Recreation and Well-Being
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Restricted Status: No
Exemption Status: Exempt
Contact Name: Kashun Winston
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 804-828-3485
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert