A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing
academic success. This is a full-time non-tenure-track faculty
position requiring a strong educational background specifically in
more than one area of education .
The Assistant Professor of Health Sciences shall primarily be
responsible for supporting the Department of Health and Natural
Sciences in maximizing the University’s operating performance while
achieving institutional goals and objectives. The Assistant
Professor of Health Sciences shall implement strategies to train
healthcare professionals offering a myriad of undergraduate
healthcare programs for our students. FMU seeks candidates for a
full-time non-tenured faculty position in Health Sciences with
concentrations in either Chemistry or Biology. Successful
candidates will have a terminal degree in a related field and
preference will be given to candidates who have successfully taught
Health Sciences and (Chemistry or Biology).
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Perform teaching, scholarship, service, and professional
development. Seek and obtain external funding
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the
position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Work collaboratively with the other faculty to advance the
programs within the Department of Natural Sciences.
- Advise students for both academic and career fields.
- Publish in referred journals, book chapters, and books
- Collaborate with other faculty on trans-disciplinary
- Represent the department, School, and University at
professional meetings locally, nationally, and internationally
- Assist in the development of additional Healthcare
- Assist in the development of partnerships with external
organizations and entities in order to strengthen the Department’s
objectives and goals
- Support in serving as a mentor for undergraduate research
projects in both chemistry and Healthcare.
- Possess excellent research skills to train students and
colleagues to broaden participation in research and
- A thorough understanding of technology, learning management
systems, and computer applications is essential (i.e. Blackboard,
Canvas, Jenzabar, LinkedIn Learning).
- Understanding the curriculum and developing schedules, lesson
plans, and teaching methods that will help students cover the
- Preparing and delivering lessons that are stimulating and
- Educating students on lab safety and ensuring all experiments
are carried out responsibly.
- Setting up tests, assignments, and experiments, and grading
- Ensuring appropriate resources and consultation times are
available to students.
- Mentoring and providing support to student teachers.
- Attending staff and parent meetings, conferences, workshops,
and other continuing education programs.
- Informing and preparing students for science fairs and
- Handling various administration functions, which include
updating student records and keeping track of lab supplies, tools,
- Ensuring a safe, healthy classroom environment where learning
can take place.
- Consistently check and respond to official University email
within a timely manner.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative,
resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to
work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Manage, prioritize, and accomplish multiple tasks/projects
simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Knowledge of teaching styles is recommended.
- Excellent interpersonal, as well as written and verbal
- Sound knowledge of health and safety regulations.
- Ability to inspire and motivate students.
- Strong multitasking skills.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- A Master’s degree in Health Sciences or a related field from an
accredited college or university; Ph.D preferred
- A successful completion of a minimum of 18 hours of graduate
coursework that includes Chemistry and Health Sciences, at the
lower level and upper level.
- A minimum of two years of experience directly related to the
duties and responsibilities specified are required.
- Higher education experience is preferred.
- Possession of knowledge in radiochemistry/radiobiology is a
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, and LinkedIn Learning, as well
as knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure,
workflow, and operating procedures. Familiar with the Jenzabar
technology suite for higher education
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a curriculum vitae,
teaching philosophy, statement of diversity, unofficial transcript,
and/or certifications, if applicable.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity