Deerfield Academy, a private coeducational boarding school founded in 1797 and annually serving approximately 650 students grades 9-12, seeks a Biology/Chemistry Teacher starting in the 2023-24 academic year. The primary classroom responsibility will be teaching four sections across a mix of grade levels, ranging from introductory Biology and Chemistry to advanced research courses. The primary out-of-classroom responsibilities will include leading co-curricular activities (varsity or sub-varsity teams, community service activities, publications, etc.), dormitory residence or supervision, advising, committee work, and family-style dining hall meals with students. Faculty also have opportunities to design and lead domestic and international travel programs.
We are looking for candidates who exhibit excellence in the classroom and who can help develop in students the fundamental learning objectives traits outlined in The Deerfield Student: leadership and judgment, open-mindedness and curiosity, mastery and metacognition, and scholarship. Additionally, we seek colleagues who are life-long learners. Beyond the classroom, candidates must be prepared to fully participate in the life of a bustling boarding school, teaching, mentoring, and modeling in all aspects of school life. We believe diversity and inclusion are essential elements of a thriving educational community and actively seek candidates who are members of and/or exhibit the skills needed to support traditionally underrepresented groups, especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, and educational background.
Additionally, candidates for this position will possess the following specific attributes/qualifications:
- Experience teaching across our spectrum of Biology and Chemistry courses in some setting; versatility and openness to teaching assignments is key
- Interest in and ability to develop specialized courses in areas of interest and expertise
- Interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents
- A master’s degree in a relevant field (preferred)
- Willingness to contribute to the life of the school community beyond the classroom
- Demonstrated multicultural competency and commitment to inclusivity
- The ability to work with colleagues as a part of a team
- A sense of humor
Deerfield Academy offers faculty an opportunity to contribute to a dynamic educational institution, continue to develop professionally, and live in a close-knit community. Among the reasons faculty are drawn to and continue to work at Deerfield:
- Our students, who come to us from 36 states and 47 countries, are excited to learn, work hard at their studies, and actively engage in a variety of activities outside the classroom. Our 300-acre campus boasts exceptional facilities and access to the picturesque natural surroundings of Western Massachusetts’ Pioneer Valley. Our physical spaces on and adjacent to campus support powerful teaching, learning, and community building. Our proximity to the Five Colleges network (Amherst, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts-Amherst) provides ample opportunities for collaboration beyond our campus. Our faculty are committed to continuous growth for themselves and our programs, and we provide extensive support for that growth. Over the past five years, we have committed $1.6M to funding faculty professional development, including supporting 33 faculty in their work towards advanced degrees. Our faculty enjoy an excellent benefits package, including on-campus housing, meals, and use of campus facilities for themselves and their families.