SENIOR DIVERSITY & INCLUSION OFFICER
Eastern Illinois University seeks an experienced leader and change agent for the inaugural position of Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer
FUNCTION OF POSITION:
The Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer (SDIO) reports to the President of Eastern Illinois University and serves on the President’s Council. In collaboration with the President’s Advisory Committee on Diversity, the successful candidate will be responsible for directing and managing all programs and initiatives that fall under Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging, including strategic planning, staffing, budgeting, and programing. They understand the importance
of an equitable and inclusive campus culture and climate, most immediately through advancing the university’s Quality Initiative Strategic Plan for Diversifying Faculty and Staff at Eastern; and will strategically align current DEIB initiatives for maximum impact and continuity. The Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer will bring to light the best practices for creating a more inclusive campus for students, faculty, and staff through collaborative DEIB efforts. The SDIO will work collaboratively to build on and challenge our existing campus culture by establishing policies and processes that foster genuine support in creating an antiracist, equitable, and inclusive community. The SDIO will unify stakeholders from across campus around a core DEIB and anti-racist vision in order to make a difference in the sense of belonging for all members of this close-knit academic community. More background information can be found here.
Requires evening and weekend commitments.
- Advise the President and the President’s Council on issues related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging on campus.
- Advocate for diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging on campus and serve as an ambassador of the institution in the community.
- Establish metrics and a system of assessment and accountability for measuring the effectiveness of efforts to build a climate of inclusion, equity, and belonging among students, faculty, and staff.
- Identify gaps in DEIB awareness and education on campus and collaborate with campus units to develop training and programming that address those needs.
- Assist senior administrators, deans, chairs, and directors in developing and implementing assessable practices that foster a climate of inclusion, equity, and belonging in their areas.
- Support the Office of Admissions, Graduate School and other campus units in enhancing recruitment and retention strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree (master’s or doctorate) in the Social Sciences or Humanities, Student Affairs, Higher Education Leadership, or a field appropriate to lead DEIB efforts in higher education.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience focusing on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging work with demonstrated effectiveness.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including written, oral, listening and presentation
- Visionary leadership skills to successfully educate and engage with a broad
- Experience in identifying a need, and building trainings or programming to address the knowledge
- Demonstrated understanding of, and support for, key principles in DEIB training including critical race theory, feminism, queer theory, privilege, protected classes, micro- aggressions, cognitive empathy, nonviolent communication and unconscientious bias.
- Knowledge and understanding of federal, state, and local equal employment opportunities laws and
- Effective conflict resolution skills needed to navigate situations with a focus on resolution, consensus building, and Reconciliation for competing interests.
To apply for this position, submit a letter of application describing the applicant’s interest in and qualifications for
the position, curriculum vitae, DEIB Philosophy Statement and the names, addresses (including email), and telephone numbers for at least three professional references to Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/116498. For questions regarding this search, please contact Dr. Barbara Bonnekessen, Screening Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eastern Illinois University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/female/disability/veteran - committed to achieving a diverse community.