State Historical Society
Basic Functions and Responsibilities
To process manuscript collections, conduct research room services,
and promote manuscript materials. This is a part time position that
will average up to 20 hours weekly. This position is also located
in St. Louis, MO.
- Accession, arrange, describe and otherwise process manuscript,
photograph, audio-visual, oral histories, electronic records, and
other research materials in accordance with standard and local
principles and practices.
- Assist in the appraisal of records and items within the
collection. Maintain an accurate and complete collection
description and inventory. Prepare reports and statistics on work
- Assist in the development of strategies for the preservation
and reformatting of materials in the collection.
- Conduct basic preservation of materials such as cleaning and
mending of damaged papers.
- Promote collections using social media platforms and SHSMO
- Continue education through attending conferences, seminars, and
- Other duties as assigned.
Hourly rate of $19.23
- A Bachelor's degree in related/ relevant area or an equivalent
combination of education and experience and at least 2 years of
experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be
acquired is necessary
- Preference will be given to candidates who are accredited
archivists and have archival experience in collecting, processing,
description, preservation, and digitization of collections.
- Demonstrates understanding of archival standards including EAD,
MARC, and DACS.
- Experience working with audio-visual materials.
- Preference will be given to candidates
with knowledge of the history of Missouri and the Midwest.
- Successful candidate is expected to have a master’s degree in
History or Library Science or an equivalent combination of
education and experience from which comparable knowledge and
abilities can be acquired.
- Should have experience with Microsoft Office including MS
Access and MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, and CONTENTdm.
- Excellent visual, communication, and public speaking
- Ability to lift and carry 35 to 40-pound boxes is
This position is not eligible for University benefits. Individuals
in non benefit eligible positions may choose to participate in the
Tax Deferred Annuity Plan (403b). For information about this plan,
please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal
of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and
students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and
our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and
applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated
ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis
of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status
protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not
be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of
religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military
organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of
Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more
information, call the Director of Employee and Labor Relations at
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of
Accessibility and ADA at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use
the following links: