About Oakton Community College :
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where
thousands begin or continue their college or career studies.
Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more
than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life
for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibilities:
Under administrative responsibility of the Dean of STEM and Health
Careers, and the general management and supervision of department
chair, the Health Career Advisor provides an array of advising
services and assistance to promote personal growth and informed
educational and career planning and decision making. Works with
prospective, new, and continuing students in both individual and
group settings to help assist students explore educational and
career options, establish academic and life goals, and implement
related action plans.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide academic advising focused on helping new, continuing
and returning students with exploration of their academic and
- Participate in the planning, promotion and delivery of
advising, registration and transition workshops and events for
newly admitted and current students.
- Participate in Information Sessions for health career programs
and provide information to prospective students regarding
applications, admissions, and program requirements.
- Provide academic advising to current students, including those
requiring SOAP interventions, and refer students in need of
personal counseling or therapeutic intervention to Student
- Answer questions about health career program policies,
procedures, and programs of study and support services provided by
the College and direct students to the appropriate
- Collaborate with other departments throughout the College to
support the success of students.
- Facilitate student use of the internet and other on-line
resources to access relevant information for informed decisions
regarding academic and career choices.
- Maintain an ongoing connection with students via the internet
as a resource for academic career information.
- Conduct recruitment activities targeted at special
- Maintain student and other records as required.
- Log phone calls and track prospective, current, and graduated
health career program students.
- Collect, compile and prepare statistical data and sensitive
information for reports, contracts, publications, etc., requiring
information and knowledge of college operations and
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Quali?cations and Working Conditions:
- Master's degree is required, preferably in college student
personnel work, counseling, adult continuing education, social work
or related ?eld.
- One or more years of successful advising and/or counseling
experience, preferably in a college setting, is
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the
ability to develop and conduct presentations for a variety of
student audiences, are required.
- Ability to work ?exible hours including some evening and
weekend hours consistent with student need is necessary.
- Ability to read and accurately interpret academic and career
advising information is necessary.
- Ability to integrate college-based, Internet and other
computer-based information resources and software into the advising
process is necessary.
- Ability to utilize a keyboard to enter, maintain and manipulate
data in a personal computer is required.
- Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with people of
di?erent levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life
experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow
employees and the College community at large.
Light lifting up to 10 lbs. and light carrying up to 10 lbs.
Ability to reach above shoulder. Periods of time spent sitting,
standing, walking, kneeling, bending and stooping. Mobility to move
from building to building on-Campus and to visit off-Campus
entities. Work is performed in a general office environment and is
sedentary in nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working
Administrative supervision is received from the Dean of STEM and
Health Careers. Functional supervision is received from the Senior
Health Career advisor, department chair and/or project
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 1:00 pm (25 hours per
This is a temporary grant position and continued employment, is
based on the successful renewal of the grant.
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval,
some positions at the college may have remote or hybrid schedule
options available. Please note, that during the 65 working day
probationary period, employees are required to report to
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select
the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of,
at least, three (3) professional references with contact
information prepared to submit with your application.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative
action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified
individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability,
age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or
gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and
participation in its educational programs, college activities and
services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without
notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are