Our commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Duke Recreation and Physical Education reaffirms our commitment to fighting racism and supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. It is our mission to build awareness and leadership around anti-racism by generating transformative conversations, tangible changes, and experiences through assessment, intentional actions, and holding our community accountable. The Departmental Human Resources/Business Manager will work to cultivate a safe, anti-racist, equitable and inclusive community, and environment. This will be done through education as well as the identification and removal of barriers for staff, faculty, and/or participants.
Duke University Recreation and Physical Education is seeking a qualified candidate for a Departmental Human/Resources Business Manager. This person will report to the Executive Director of Recreation and Physical Education. They will assist the Executive Director with the management of departmental finances and the administration of programs, policies, and procedures. This individual will lead DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging initiatives for the department. They will provide oversight to all hiring procedures for full-time and part-time employees within Recreation and Physical Education and will provide direct oversight to, Office manager and Information Technology (IT) Specialist.
- Work directly with the Executive Director to continue strategic budget and human resources planning
- Lead Rec & PE’s IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility) Team in building awareness and leadership around anti-racism by generating transformative conversations, tangible changes, and experiences by assessment, intentional actions, and holding our community accountable
- Coordinate departmental personnel activities, including, but not limited to, interpreting departmental and University policies and procedures, managing recruitment, placement, and termination, assisting with the resolution of complaints, and coordinating performance appraisal
- Recommend various personnel actions including, but not limited to, hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, transfers and vacation schedules; supervise the work of designated employees, reviewing completed work for adherence to instructions or correctness
- Form and manage relationships with partners across campus to help ensure business/human resources objectives and continuity
- Oversee employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations
- Support staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations
- Partner with the leadership team to understand and execute the organizations human resource and talent strategy particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, recruiting, retention, and succession planning
- Provide monthly budget updates, support and resources to departmental staff that reinforces
budget management and best practices for fiscal responsibility
- Compile reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions
- Prepare and maintain departmental budgets, providing the department head with regular assessments of financial strengths, weaknesses and potential problems or concerns
- Coordinate budget and account adjustments as necessary to avoid overdrafts and unexpected variances
- Reconcile monthly credit card statements and merchant accounts
- Responsible for creating contracts, liaising with sponsors, sending invoices, collecting sponsorship and facility rental revenue
- Hire, train, supervise, evaluate, and provide direct supervision for 2 full-time positions
- Provide managerial and leadership experiences for full and part-time staff and create promote professional development opportunities
- Serve as a member of Rec & PE’s leadership team.
Policymaking and/or interpretation
Responsible for the development, implementation and interpretation of the policies and procedures governing recreation memberships, business and human resource functions of the department.
Reports to the Executive Director of Recreation and Physical Education Department. Day-to-day functions are accomplished with minimal guidance or supervision in accordance with established policies and directives. Overall guidance is accomplished through supervisory conferences (one on one meetings) setting broad goals and objectives.
Directly supervises 2 full-time staff and student employees.
Level of Public Contact
Collaborates with other University Departments such as OIE (Office of Institutional Equity), Human Resources, Budget/Payroll office.
Oversees and tracks revenue generated through student fees, memberships, donations, programs, special events, and other streams of revenue.
Statement of Responsibility for Confidential Data
Collects and secures confidential information regarding students, staff, faculty, alumni, and family. Maintains employee information and files in confidential manner.