Associate or Assistant Professors of Graphic Design & Interactive Media
- University of Wisconsin-Stout
- Menomonie, Wisconsin
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Posted Date
- Nov 7, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Arts, Design & Graphic Arts
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Associate or Assistant Professors of Graphic Design & Interactive Media
The School of Art & Design at the University of Wisconsin–Stout is excited to announce two tenure-track faculty openings for its robust Graphic Design & Interactive Media BFA. Both openings are able to be filled at the ranks of Associate or Assistant Professor. The appointments will begin with the 2023-2024 academic year, starting on August 21, 2023.
Ideal candidates will possess nuanced understanding of design practice and passion for educating future leaders in the field. These individuals will be able to demonstrate how their specific areas of expertise and personal perspectives will broaden and deepen the program’s offerings. These candidates will also make clear how they are prepared to contribute toward fostering an equitable and inclusive environment for students and the campus community.
These positions each have an emphasis, one in visual communication, the other in interaction design. Candidates are asked to explain in their cover letter how they are prepared to advance student learning in one or both of these areas.
Both openings are based on the academic year schedule. The primary expectations of these positions include teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels, creative research, and service to the University.
• MFA or equivalent terminal degree in graphic design or closely related field by contract start date
• Design expertise
• Interest in advancing student learning in areas of graphic design and/or interactive media
• Demonstrated success working with diverse stakeholders
• Expertise and ability to work in an environment that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion
• Interest in partnering with industry
• Interest in leadership opportunities
• Teach studio courses each semester, following National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) guidelines, that may include introductory, intermediate, and advanced Graphic Design & Interactive Media classes, as well as other studio classes that support the major and MFA in Design graduate program.
• Foster a rigorous and inclusive learning environment.
• Collaborate with other faculty to maintain/develop course curricula.
• Maintain an active creative practice and/or research agenda.
• Perform service to the department, college, university, and profession.
• Demonstrate collegiality and the potential for future leadership in the Graphic Design & Interactive Media program.
• Provide academic advisement for students in the major and MFA in Design graduate program.
• Participate in program assessment.
• Perform other duties as designated by the department chair.
The Graphic Design & Interactive Media BFA is a progressive and well-established program housed within the Department of Design. The program’s curriculum offers a comprehensive foundation in both visual communication and interaction design, based on a rigorous study of typography, branding, and user experience. The program also provides students opportunities to explore a broad range of specializations including packaging, advertising, publication, exhibition, user interface, and Web design.
The program has a 30-year history of excellence, and competes on both a regional and national level, attracting students from around the country. The program was ranked #2 in the state, and #1 among public Wisconsin universities by Animation Career Review. Student designers have been recognized by AIGA, ICDE, IDMAA, the Dieline, CSS Design Awards, Above the Fold Awards, and many others.
The program is comprised of more than 250 students and is the largest of six BFA programs offered by the 1200-student School of Art & Design, the largest public art and design program in the upper Midwest. The program is committed to contributing to an inclusive campus community. For more information, please visit: http://www.uwstout.edu/programs/bfagdim
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community .
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter*
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three professional references
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official transcripts required at time of hire)
- Professional portfolio: Upload a single, multipage PDF including up to 20 samples of personal/professional design work with brief written descriptions. Please include links to interactive and time-based work.
- Evidence of interest in advancing student learning: Upload a single, multipage PDF including up to 20 examples of student work, syllabi, course materials, mentorship outcomes, leadership training, etc.
- Teaching philosophy
- Inclusivity statement: Equity, diversity and inclusion are important to the mission of UW-Stout. Write a separate one-page or less statement demonstrating your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion that supports students’ success.
*Please use your cover letter to speak to how you are prepared to advance student learning in one or both of the position emphases, as well as each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for these positions as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by midnight (AOE) Friday, January 6th, 2023. Applications submitted after this time may be reviewed until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Robert Fraher
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: MaryJo Pittman
University of Wisconsin-Stout prepares lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens in an equitable, inclusive, and sustainable environment through collaborative career-focused programs that integrate applied learning, theory and research. UW-Stout is committed to developing an inclusive community that fosters a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow, celebrating the diversity of individual perspectives and experiences.
A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert