Instructor, Interior Design
Department of Clothing, Textiles, and Interior Design
The College of Human Environmental Sciences
The University of Alabama
The Department of Clothing, Textiles, and Interior Design at the University of Alabama invites candidates for a full-time, 9-month, non-tenure-track position at the rank of Instructor in Interior Design Department beginning on August 16, 2023. Successful applicants will teach undergraduate courses in a CIDA-accredited design program and engage in service to the University and the community.
The Interior Design program is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) and consists of sequential learning that provides training in a critical aspect of interior design. Studios focus on residential design as well as healthcare, office, retail, mixed-use, institutional spaces, and a Capstone studio. It is ranked in the top 50 Interior Design schools in the U.S. and ranked by Design Intelligence as one of the “Most Hired from Interior Design Schools” 2019-2020.
- Applicant must have an MFA or Master's degree in interior design or closely related field by date of hire.
- Candidate must demonstrate an ability to teach courses in interior design in the following areas: residential and commercial interior design studio, building codes and regulatory compliance, materials and methods of building construction, interior materials and sources, business practices, sustainable design, digital rendering, presentation techniques, and 3D communication techniques.
- Applicant must demonstrate proficiency to provide instruction in Revit and/or CAD.
- Previous teaching experience in higher education and professional design experience in interior design or architecture are preferred.
- NCIDQ certification, or certification completed by hiring date preferred
- Candidates holding LEED, WELL, EDAC, or other accreditations are preferred.
The successful candidate must be able to:
- Teach a typical class load of per semester a 4/4 course load.
- Work with faculty to maintain CIDA (Council for Interior Design accreditation status.
- Provide service to the University, College, and community.
The University of Alabama, founded in 1831, is the state’s flagship institution. The University is ranked among one of the top 50 public universities in the nation. holds an R1, very high research, Carnegie classification. and has an enrollment of over 38,000 students. UA is a leader among public universities nationwide in the enrollment of National Merit Scholars and is the senior comprehensive doctoral level institution in Alabama. Located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, we are a diverse, vibrant community of over 100,000 residents that is situated along the banks of the Black Warrior River and was named an All-America City by the National Civic League. The city lies about an hour southwest of Birmingham and is within a few hours’ drive of Gulf Coast beaches and the major cities of Nashville, New Orleans, Memphis, and Atlanta.
Additional Position Information (if applicable)
- Active participant in relevant academic or professional organizations such as IIDA, ASID, and IDEC are also desired.
- Must be fluent in English and must possess excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be able to meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of the appointment.
To apply, candidates should complete an online application at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu/postings/51430. The application deadline is January 1, 2023. Initial review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. To assure full consideration, please complete an online application and include a letter of application (cover letter), describing experience and fit with the position, vita, and a Diversity Statement, and the names and contact information for three references (name, address, telephone, and email), submitted as List of References. To complete the application process, submit a mandatory portfolio of personal, professional, and/or student work (20 images maximum), as a PDF file, and email it to Kristin Maki, Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The University, College, and the Department Clothing, Textiles, and Interior Design are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive learning and work environment for our students, faculty, and staff. A diverse University community and inclusive environment are integral for excellence in teaching, research, and service. We are especially committed to increasing representation of those populations that have been historically excluded from participation in U.S. higher education.
UA EEO Statement
The University of Alabama is an Equal Employment/Equal Educational Opportunity Institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age, genetic or family medical history information, disability, or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, and will not be discriminated against because of their protected status. Applicants to and employees of this institution are protected under Federal law from discrimination on several bases. Follow the link below to find out more. “EEO is the Law” https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf “EEO is the Law” Poster Supplement http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pd