Paint Shop Supervisor
Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the
values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment
of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a
pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar
College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and
applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans,
and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially
encouraged.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free
campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy
requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all
employees except for those exempt for medical or religious
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Manager of Custodial Services, the Paint Shop
Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of paint shop
employees to ensure the quality painting finishes of campus
facilities. The Paint Shop Supervisor provides effective leadership
to cultivate and promote a positive service environment.
- Monitors and determines the painting needs of the college and
ensures that resources are available for projects and assignments.
This position supervises, plans, and schedules work for the paint
shop, inspects finished product, ensures the availability of paint
supplies required for the task and project, generates work
requests, assigns and distributes work, and coordinates work with
other trades and contractors to complete building and painting
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in
accordance with established Vassar College and departmental
policies and procedures.
- Investigating complaints of unsatisfactory painting performance
and taking appropriate corrective action.
- Responsible for the upkeep of all tools and maintain all Vassar
owned equipment assigned to the employee.
- Training employees on proper methods and use of materials and
equipment for safe and efficient work performance.
- Ensuring painting staff carry out tasks safely in accordance
with OSHA standards, and in a professional manner with minimal
disruption to campus programming, activities and operations.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment daily.
- Review and approval of timesheets and time off requests.
- Responsible for communicating and working effectively with
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in
obtaining and maintaining its mission.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- High school diploma, vocational training or equivalent
- A minimum of five (5) years of related work experience and
three (3) of supervisory experience.
- Extensive experience as a skilled painter.
- Must be knowledgeable in the use of various equipment and power
tools and their maintenance relative to all scopes of
- Comprehensive knowledge and practices of the painting
- Thorough knowledge of the methods of preparing materials and
surfaces for painting.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others.
- Requires ability to communicate effectively in English,
including understanding, speaking, reading and writing. Good
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and work
independently as well as in a team environment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to perform repeated bending, squatting, stooping,
pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to stand and walk for a prolonged period of
- Must be able to move, position, place and transport objects up
to and including 75 pounds.
- Must be able to ascend and descend ladders and
- Willingness to work weekends as needs.
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to
attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3
professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format.
Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any
questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2823